Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've had this bass riff floating around for a while now (couple years?) and finally decided to do something with it. I'm not much of a shredder, but I love playing lead and improvising, as such, the leads are nothing spectacular or mind blowing, and probably very derivative :lol: At any rate, it's what it felt like it needed :shrug: No name yet, as I might end up re-working it with vocals instead and don't want to feel tied down to a name :lol:

I'll give you two options to listen to it, in case anyone has preferences of which site they like to use :lol:

SoundClick artist: Eleven59 - page with MP3 music downloads

http://soundcloud.com/aaronvsmusic/demo52

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
:eek:

This is approximately 0.127% as horrible as I expected it to be, given your introduction and the fact I don't think I've ever heard you even mention taking a solo in your life.

Seriously, Aaron, I'm a bit surprised here. Drums sound spectacular, by the way, but what really caught me off guard was just how good your phrasing was. Yeah, sure, you may not be "much of a shredder," but you seem to know how to work within your limits. Hell, I can't even say as much about my own playing. :D

The slap bass variation at the end is pretty cool, but I think I'd like it more if you kept soloing over that - some very angular, against-the-beat bluesy stuff is what (to me) that breakdown is begging for.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks man :D Yeah, phrasing is where my focus has always been since speed was never my forte :lol: I was thinking about adding some soloing over the slap-bass fadeout but I think I forgot to :lol: I might give it a shot later, especially if I end up re-working this to be a mostly vocal track. :yesway:

My soloing abilities really work best in the context of a song with a short solo break in the middle, when I try to do a full instrumental like this, I feel like I run out of ideas and repeat myself too much, or am struggling too much to avoid that :lol: I'm actually pretty proud of my tapping abilities, which have really developed in the last few years thanks to the band I was in :lol: but have a hard time finding a use for faster, shreddier playing without feeling like it's out of place and pointless within the song. Which is strange, because I can think of countless examples of other people's songs where that's not the case, I just feel self-conscious about it :lol: So, I end up back in the blues/rock territory.

Drums are played in on my MIDI keyboard and edited a bit after the fact.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Hell, man, if you don't have kickass tasteful guitar solos all over this solo album you're working on, I'm going to drive up to Canada and kick your ass. Consider yourself warned :yesway:

·
I MG.org salute you.
2,501 Posts
I like the tone and intensity on this track. :yesway:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hell, man, if you don't have kickass tasteful guitar solos all over this solo album you're working on, I'm going to drive up to Canada and kick your ass. Consider yourself warned :yesway:
:rofl: Thanks man. There's 3 songs already for my album that have solos or lead breaks on them, and probably 5 or 6 more planned (out of 18 songs total) :lol:

I like the tone and intensity on this track. :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
As 9 is less than 18, fail. :noway:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
As 9 is less than 18, fail. :noway:
:lol: Well, to be fair, the other 9 songs are mostly either fully acoustic songs or instrumental interludes, and a lot of them have "leads" they're just less traditional (ebow) or more simple (straight octaves melody over a riff behind vocals).

Edit: They're also apparently the songs that are on my myspace page, for the most part :lol:

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I agree 100% with Drew.

You should definitely consider leaving this close this and use it as a segue between songs :agreed:

and then release a blues album before Drew does :D

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I agree 100% with Drew.

You should definitely consider leaving this close this and use it as a segue between songs :agreed:

and then release a blues album before Drew does :D
:lol: I had considered that. I might end up using this on the album as is (with some polishing touches and maybe an outro lead), but I'm not sure it'll even fit on the album, since it's getting up there in length already :lol: Actually, a quick check puts the album at 72 minutes if I use every song including this one :lol: There's one or two "maybe" songs that I'm not sure if they'll end up on the album, though.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Wait a second, you didn't go find someone to play this? You, who was playing bass in that boring display of chops band recorded THIS? God damn, I actually enjoyed listening to that. :lol:

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wait a second, you didn't go find someone to play this? You, who was playing bass in that boring display of chops band recorded THIS? God damn, I actually enjoyed listening to that. :lol:
:rofl: This was a riff I pitched to them and they liked but couldn't find a place for :nuts: We (me, drummer and the better guitarist) jammed it a bunch in the jam space a bunch though. They did a way better job than I did on the drums and guitar. Those two are seriously great, versatile musicians who I really enjoyed jamming with. They just aren't great songwriters, and are stuck in chops mode because it's getting them a lot of attention right now, and they like pushing their own limits. Get that guy playing bluesy licks like this, though, and it'll blow your mind, and that drummer can groove like nobodies business with some really creative fills. That was what kept me there so long, I kept trying to bring that out more, but eventually realized it'll never happen, especially not with the other guitarist in the band holding them in the "brutalz" zone.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Sounded great, I totally get what you mean regarding the get stuck doing the same thing over and over when it comes to instrumentals though :lol:

This was kind of repetative but I liked it, nice work!

·
Pallin' around
9,532 Posts
:rofl: This was a riff I pitched to them and they liked but couldn't find a place for :nuts: We (me, drummer and the better guitarist) jammed it a bunch in the jam space a bunch though. They did a way better job than I did on the drums and guitar. Those two are seriously great, versatile musicians who I really enjoyed jamming with. They just aren't great songwriters, and are stuck in chops mode because it's getting them a lot of attention right now, and they like pushing their own limits. Get that guy playing bluesy licks like this, though, and it'll blow your mind, and that drummer can groove like nobodies business with some really creative fills. That was what kept me there so long, I kept trying to bring that out more, but eventually realized it'll never happen, especially not with the other guitarist in the band holding them in the "brutalz" zone.
This is what happened in my band as well, except they were stuck in the As I Lay Dying genre :noplease:

Every song was pretty much the same thing to my ears, and I kept trying to introduce more creativity, but I eventually had to quit. :(

Once again though, this track ruled.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Jesus Tittyfucking Christ - that was great! Very Satchy, with the melody over shred thing. I would've gone for a bit less gain on the tone, and just smacked shit out the strings when I wanted more, but that's me :D

I'd love to hear the ending on that one jammed out a bit...

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jesus Tittyfucking Christ - that was great! Very Satchy, with the melody over shred thing. I would've gone for a bit less gain on the tone, and just smacked shit out the strings when I wanted more, but that's me :D

I'd love to hear the ending on that one jammed out a bit...
Yeah, I hear ya on the gain, I'm thinking of tweaking my lead tone a bit after this :lol: Especially the neck pickup tones don't really punch with that single-coil grit I like (this was my Strat, though stock Squier pickups aren't exactly amazing either :lol: ).

Thanks man, yeah, I can definitely hear a bit of Satch in this one, and could kind of feel that as I was working on it :lol:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts