Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
lick the wounds
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I sweat a lot at practice and at shows. i HAVE to wipe down my guitar everytime I perform. What can I say. Metal is hard lol here are some videos I took while I was trying to clean all the rust (formed from MY sweat) off of my hardware. Thats the bridge, all the pick guard screws, the pickup screws, and the toggle switch and pot's nuts and washers. i used Hydrogen peroxide at first and it didn't do as good of a job as i think it should have, so I went to Lowe's and got "Naval Jelly Rust Dissolver." worked like a charm. All i did was use the same whiskey glass thats in the video and filled it up with the jelly stuff and let it sit for about 12hrs. yeah there was about 4 years of bullshit on my guitar. anyways. thought i would share this with everybody cause im sure im not the only one who sweats. (and thats my TV in the background, im not whispering at the camera lol)

·
lick the wounds
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i already had the hardware in the shit before i thought about documenting the change. i'll try to hunt down any close ups i might have of the guitar pre-clean......lol

·
lick the wounds
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Here is a before and after. you can really tell with the toggle switch washer. some of the rust had just plain damaged the metal itself so no matter what i did it was never going to look brand new. sorry about the face.......lol

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Chromaphonic Invader
1,298 Posts
Phosphoric acid does pretty good at removing rust too. I don't seem to have the same problem with my sweat corroding things, I think some people just have something in their sweat that causes it more than others. Like having amylase in your saliva.

·
lick the wounds
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah i totally agree with that. its all about acid levels. prolly has something to do with diet etc. i've seen it so bad that the paint on the back of the neck has been eaten away by the guys sweat. fucking amazing.

·
lick the wounds
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
and as far as the phosphoric acid goes, i had heard about that too but i couldnt find any concentrate so i tried out diet coke. all it did was fizz a little but i really wasnt expecting much....

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
yeah i totally agree with that. its all about acid levels. prolly has something to do with diet etc. i've seen it so bad that the paint on the back of the neck has been eaten away by the guys sweat. fucking amazing.
That's the reason Rory Gallagher's Strat had about three square inches of finish left.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts