Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Hey man, first of all its great you've taken an interest in guitar!

I would seriously recommend getting a teacher for at least the first little bit of your playing. A good teacher will make sure you don't start with any bad habits or let them build into your playing. The only issue is trying to find a good teacher, especially when you're playing extreme metal. A simple blueswanker will not do, and unfortunately are all too abundant. Something I would recommend doing is putting out an ad on your local craigslist advertising for a teacher that has the chops to play what you want to learn. You dont need a straight up death metal guy or anything, just someone that is accustomed to playing extreme metal and its better if they know their way around several genres.

If all else fails, phone or email someone in a local band that has chops and get lessons from them.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I learned everything I know about guitar (admittedly, fuck all) from playing along to System of a Down's Toxicity, and once I had palm muting and pinch harmonics down, I learned Alive or Just Breathing by Killswitch Engage. Both have very very good tabs out there, are simple to learn but hard to master, and are fun as hell to play. Get them down and try going from there?

·
Serious Bedroom Guitarist
982 Posts
Your 25? Just give up :lol: Its too tough.

I'd just start getting some tabs for your favorite songs and start to learn them. It really can be that simple to start out. Good luck dude.
Hey, I started at 33. The only difference is the amount of time you have to spend on practice (but be prepared to be 50 before you are a guitar god :lol: )

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
Disagree with that, personally. I learned more on my own than from any lessons I ever had.
Maybe, but a good teacher should be able to give you a direction, and reinforce concepts. It will probably speed him along a lot faster than trying to find the information himself, especially when there is so much of it floating around.

But, i guess that depends on whether or not paying for lessons are worth it to you. I preferred to use that money on gear :lol: Though, I do wish I had taken lessons when I was first starting out.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
I started learning tabs from the internet from the usual classic metal bands (Sabbath, Maiden, etc). Then after about 1.5 years of that, I decided to get instruction to learn basic music theory and work on my lead playing. That worked for me. I don't necessarily say you need to START with a teacher, but get one at some point to help you out.

Also, there's tons of great videos available nowdays, too.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
first if you want to be a good guitarist you can not rush it and start opening up gates of hell with sloppy playing. its going to be slow and frustrating but if you stick with it you will feel proud of yourself and then you can riff and open the gates of hell.

yes get a teacher is good advice but get a good teacher. im on my second guitar teacher because my first teacher was to busy messing on the computer while in my sessions. if you do not want a teacher there are some good resources out there.

best dvds for the money.

metalmethod.com get the set

but just know to start out right and get the boring stuff down because it is important stuff to know.

also the age thing is not an issue... it a time issue. make the time to learn thats why its better to start young because we got plenty of time when we are young. i started at 28 and going to be 30 in few months.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
tnx all for sharing.but there are something i should share that u mau help me better.
in our country metal music is banned.the heaviest version in classes we have is Rock.
i spend two terms on our Conservatory in our city. but my teacher try to teach me blues,and thats boring to me.
so iquit the class,because if there is one place that i can catch class is there.
but after ghet into the job,i cant go to there and find new teacher.
so i start troy stetina series.i finish metal rhytme one,and its cool.but thats boring too,and there is something make me so bored is Metal lead series.on stetina series at the begining of lead books ,i cant understand some lessons,and i cant find video on troy stetina series.second reason after learning some chords on metal rhytm 2 ,there are kinf of songs that looks like on rock or blues.
now i finish metal method ,metal for beginers and i dont have any problem with that ,i finished it at once in 24 hours.
so behind these,if other suggestion can help, i glad to hear it.
tnx for shares

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Can you get in trouble for playing metal? :eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i live in Iran,yes sth like that.whenever they want ,they start to find metal bands and arrest them.
metal doesnt acceptable by their religion,wut the fuck?
i never understand that wuts relation between believe in god and listen to musics

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
oh wow.. didn't know you lived in Iran.. that sucks that metal is banned there. Have you just tried to learn by ear? i knows it more harder that way but given your situation it might be the best method.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i finish Metal rhythm 1 , 2 times.playing some songs more than others.
i heard about ear training for guitar learning.but i dont have any resource bout that.
now i got these vid training:
1- learn guitar by gibson company
2- lick library learn shred guitar in 6 weeks
3- metal method - melodic speed,shred & heavy riffs with alexi laiho(children of boddom)
4- metal method -leads,runs and rhythms by Dan Jacobs(Atreyu)
5- metal method - learn basics of metal guitar by John mccarthy(i finish this dvd-it's so simple to play that for me)
6-lick library metal extreme-metal pentatonic licks
7- lick library beginners guitar aerobic
may be i shoul dl more,but i got these now.any suggest how to use them,or i should use another sources first?if u know,plz guide me
tnx for responding

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i got another problem too.
my guitar is YAMAHA EG 112c(thats in starter pack),i got 15w yamaha amplifier. and i buy G1X multieffect from Zoom company.
thats very important problem i got here,i cant set my effect well to noise from method i want to learn.i cant make sound like those,and between songs cause of bad sound i cant find that i play it right or wrong?
any source for learning effects and how can i set the settings.or may be i should buy a new guitar? (that i suggest to it later), i really want warbeast blood bound of BC RICH
tnx

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Yeah, I saw your location when you posted - learning how to play Death Metal in Iran is tough, I bet. Good for you for sticking with it!

Well, the Stetina series is great, and will teach you the basic techniques you need to play the music you want to. I would keep practicing the excersizes in the Metal Method books, but also search the internet for tabs (tablature, or transcriptions) of the songs you want to learn how to play, and then start learning those songs.

That's how I taught myself to play -a friend showed me how to read tabs and showed me a few chords, and then I just got a lot of tabs off the net and started learning songs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.