Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Read Only
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really really really hope they don't fuck this up.
:agreed:

Kind of strange seeing a trailer that is all game footage instead of CG - they must be pretty far along into development by now tho because they have been working on it for a few years already.

Also new trailer for Space Marine (single player action game)

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
I've been waiting for a good 40k game for a loooong time. The RTS's just didn't cut it for me. Space Marine looks cool... But I fucking hate Space Marines. Death to the false Emperor!

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
NONONONONONO!!! Fucking hell, why is it that nowhere seems to be able to/wants to make an actually incredible game based on the story/books/artwork that the GW guys do :scream::wallbash:

Seriously, I am so fucking sick of seeing ridiculous, out of proportion, cartoonish looking Space Marines in the 40k games... I want to see them make a game that actually does the insanity of the tabletop game some justice.

Did I mention i'm extremely passionate about this? :ugh::lol:

/rant.

EDIT: That space marine one is getting close, but it still doesn't have something there.. the filth maybe? All the codexes/books portray such a dirty, industrial environment, nothing is nailing htat yet :(

EDIT 2: And it fucks me off to no end that an MMO can talk about "the grim darkness of the 41st millennium" but then have this ridiculous, comical looking game to back that up. :wallbash:

/rant 2...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
^ Because canon junkies like you exist :lol:

Seriously, it's all cool to have the GRIMDARK stuff, but I think the original Dawn of War series captured a great amount of 40K flavor without having it be as ridiculously random as the tabletop game.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
^ It captured the essence of the tabletop game, yes, but it captured pretty well zero of the absolutely incredible story behind the game.

Seriously, there is what, 18 years of plot development gone into this game, and it would make the most incredible movies/games ever if they'd just stick to the god damn history.

That said, I hope that Space Marine one does it some justice, from the look of it it's certainly a step in the right direction :yesway:

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
I'm not sure what your complaint is about the cartooniness and ridiculous out of proportion nonsense is.

The story? Sure. I read many of the old codex's's and the little ministories therein were pretty slick, but it would be difficult to manifest all that into a solid story. For example, [nerd moment] when I was 12 I found some supplement Ork book from somewhere between the first and second editions which explained that Orks were a fungus and the Brainboyz of yore were snotlings. That whole concept was ditched for many years and then suddenly brought back. Not that it really matters as the Ork culture(?) is rather simple, but it was a weird change nonetheless. As far as the other races go, there are stories about specific characters and such, but is there an actual time line to all of it? Don't get me wrong, I love those bits, but they all seem to be random snippets of atmosphere rather than a real story line. [/nerd moment]

Or are you referring to the novels? If so, are they any good?

Back to what I was saying about the characters' bizarre proportions. I don't think they're that far off ESPECIALLY with the newer miniatures. Back in the second edition, Orks looked more like green Nazis with squished faces, but now they're all ripped and what not. Or think back to the old Chaos Obliterators. Those things used to be a few pieces of pewter and not too much larger than the average model and now they're close to dreadnought size. The whole look of the game has really changed over the years.

As far as cartooniness... Well Citadel paints were always pretty cartoony.

With that said, I really hope this doesn't play like the typical WoW clone and I hope it's more than Chaos, Marines, and Orks. It'd be pretty badass running around as a Genestealer or swoop around on one of those Dark Eldar Hellion thingies.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
^ I dont want the proportions based on the miniatures. That's my complaint, i think the miniatures (awesome fun as they are) are pretty ridiculously proportioned as well.. the only reason they aren't as bad is because they don't have that god-awful computer generated look, and you can excuse the sizes as they have done an incredible job with the limitations of the plastic (and metal) moulding. I want to see a game/movie using the actual artwork and "realistic" :)lol:) pictures as the basis for the design.

Turning the miniature designs into computer game equivalents is a recipe for failure in my opinion, as they are pretty squished and fat to begin with, and when you add the cartoonish colours (yes, they look cartoonish when they are on a computer screen as CGI created characters) to the picture, it just doesn't do them justice for me :shrug:

As for the history, there are timelines in most of the new Codices, there are events referred to in varying levels of detail in multiple codices, there are chapter/army/race-specific stories, there are one offs, there are character histories, there are a huge number of amazing stories throughout all the books, just about any of which would make a better story than the games so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts