1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,388 Posts
I love that orange finish with the tortoise pickguard. :yesway:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Droid Build/ESE81) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17)

******* said:
Tell that to Stevie Ray Vaughan. I'm tempted to call you a moron for that comment... but I won't. :lol:
I love the tone of rosewood but the looks are terrible and I can get pretty close to his tone with my maple boarded strat ;)
My sc420 and JS2000 would disagree with you. The rosewood on those two look stunning. Rosewood gets a bad rap often because of the cheap shit they use on cheap guitars. On higher end guitars, that's not really the case.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Well, fortunately looks and tone are subjective things, eh?
Yep. I vastly prefer the look and tone of maple, so the fact rosewood is an option that some people prefer just means there's less competition for me. :D

This is the same reason I'm happy that gay guys exist, BTW. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
"Vastly" he says. :lol:

Drew, you're the king of hyperbole.
Not really, man. I think maybe it's more debatable with the tone, but maple definitely has a different attack to it - there's a bit more of a "clang" or "sting" to notes as you dig in, especially as you start to snap the strings against the fretboard. Getting to sit down with Steve's UV777GR really confirmed this for me, it's attack characteristics unplugged are much more like my Strat than I would have expected from a basswood guitar with a Floyd.

Looks, though? Hands down. I wouldn't mind having maybe one rosewood Strat lying around just for the hell of it, but otherwise if I could have a whole fleet of maple-fretboarded guitars I'd do so in a heartbeat.

I have a VERY strong preference for maple fretboards. I prefer how they sound and how they look to anything else I've ever played. As far as I'm concerned, "vast" is pretty apt. :yesway:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Hence why your UV is your main player. :yesway:
:shrug: Best of a bad situation. GRs are rare as hell, especially in "player condition," the neon would be a bit much anyway, and there's not much else out there that has seven strings and a maple board.

If anything, I think it's telling that I've thought seriously about selling my PWH just to buy a RG1527WH - something that would arguably be crazy and/or a huge downgrade in almost anyone else's eyes, but that would give me a neck profile I like (I actually prefer it to the UV) and a maple fretboard.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts