Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on a local hardtail strat in a buddy of mine's shop, but then my wife's car needed the same cost in repairs. :lol: (No, wait, :() So, I think I'll instead take some time to sell off some things so that I can just order what I think I really want; that classic strat tone in a tele form-factor. Is this achievable? Can I spec everything to a strat, except for the body shape, and still get those tones?

Basically, this:

Warmoth Custom Guitar Products - Hybrid Tele® Guitar Replacement Body

Can I get that same snappy tone from a conversion (24.75") neck, too?

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
It should be close enough - the little bit of wood on the top horn won't make that much difference.

It won't *really* sound like a Strat without a trem, though.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
For some reason, those just look hideous to me. I'd just get a TSS (Tele-Strat-Strat) Telecaster with a 5-way switch.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It won't *really* sound like a Strat without a trem, though.
The hardtail USA Fender at my buddy's place sounded enough like a strat that I almost plunked down $950 for a guitar I knew I would play less than my LP and Hamer :D

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
Tele tone comes from the bridge and pickup so take that away and its an alder bodied guitar :yesway:

The hard tail strat will sound plenty strat-y but I would stick to 25.5"

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For some reason, those just look hideous to me. I'd just get a TSS (Tele-Strat-Strat) Telecaster with a 5-way switch.
...and the truth is, what I'm really after is that strat single pickup tone from the neck and position 4. So, that's not too bad an idea...

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
...and the truth is, what I'm really after is that strat single pickup tone from the neck and position 4. So, that's not too bad an idea...
:agreed:

Plus you'll get a really usable bridge-only sound.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
I have a Road Worn tele that is T/S/S with a 5 way and its really the best of both worlds :yesway: If you throw a Texas Special or Quarter Pounder you will get into P90-ish teritory in the bridge and then put Texas Special Strat pickups for the neck and mid so that the output will match generally well :metal:

Basically this:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heh, just snooped one of your old threads...

Third from the left?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I'm not really a fan of Duncan's Quarter Pounders. Too dark.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I mean, I'd call that an abomination, but yeah, it'd probably sound Strat-y.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The only problem I have with actual strats is the way they feel/hang when playing standing up (how I play 99% of the time). Sitting down, they're terribly comfortable, but once I stand up, they're just immediately awkward. I think it's the geometry of the locations of the strap-pins relative to the bridge.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The only problem I have with actual strats is the way they feel/hang when playing standing up (how I play 99% of the time). Sitting down, they're terribly comfortable, but once I stand up, they're just immediately awkward. I think it's the geometry of the locations of the strap-pins relative to the bridge.
Really, my only problem with it is how awful the Strat pickguard looks on the Tele body. So go for the Tele version and get yourself a really useable bridge pickup at the same time :yesway:

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm on this kick again. Provided the wife's car survives the next two months, I might actually be able to pull the trigger :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
1 - 20 of 92 Posts