Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Warmoth made another good comparison video now!

So yeah I'm not very surprised because I've had similar results when changing bridges (difference constructions/saddle materials etc)

And just like Aron says in the video, to really hear differences you gotta listen back to back on recordings, because you can't really do one thing one day and then do another the next day and expect to actually remember the differences. Super important!
Same goes for changing pickups etc etc.

Oh well, my personal opinion agrees with Aron:
maybe for cleans it matters, but for me a full heavy metal mix with distortion drums and bass I don't think it's something to care about.
Stainless just makes sure you don't have to refret! No surprise there :flex:

My stainless frets on my main Warmoth guitar still looks just as new about 2 years later and I've played it quite a lot!

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Oh well, my personal opinion agrees with Aron:
maybe for cleans it matters, but for me a full heavy metal mix with distortion drums and bass I don't think it's something to care about.
Stainless just makes sure you don't have to refret! No surprise there :flex:
Who are you and what have you done with Rocka? This makes too much sense, sir! :lol:

:wub:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
The stainless frets argument is a pet peeve of mine. It's not that some folks don't like them or shouldn't and it's not that they don't last longer - I'm sure they do.

Don't know that I could hear the difference in brightness without a comparison like this, as Rocka points out.

My bitch is all of the djent kiddies launching petitions on Change.org and such to force manufacturers to put SS frets on everything. They claim that nickel is a "rip-off" designed by THE MAN to rob people of money, etc., etc.,

I think it was part of Bernie Sanders' platform during the election.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I think it was Darren ( :( ) who brought up a great point about SS frets a while back - they are great, but a bitch to work on/install and they wear out luthier tools extremely fast. I have them on a couple of guitars and other than "they're shiny" I can't honestly say I notice fuck all difference in sound.

I've never once said "I can't enjoy this album because it was recorded with nickel frets".

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think it was Darren ( :( ) who brought up a great point about SS frets a while back - they are great, but a bitch to work on/install and they wear out luthier tools extremely fast. I have them on a couple of guitars and other than "they're shiny" I can't honestly say I notice fuck all difference in sound.

I've never once said "I can't enjoy this album because it was recorded with nickel frets".
Then again, if your guitars came with SS frets to begin with, if there are any difference, who knows if it's the frets or anything else ;)

The stainless frets argument is a pet peeve of mine. It's not that some folks don't like them or shouldn't and it's not that they don't last longer - I'm sure they do.

Don't know that I could hear the difference in brightness without a comparison like this, as Rocka points out.

My bitch is all of the djent kiddies launching petitions on Change.org and such to force manufacturers to put SS frets on everything. They claim that nickel is a "rip-off" designed by THE MAN to rob people of money, etc., etc.,

I think it was part of Bernie Sanders' platform during the election.
I wanna have SS frets on everything too :flex:
Since getting my first Warmoth neck with SS frets I wont look back.
They still after 2-3 years looks brand new, even tho it's my most played guitar.
My first Warmoth had regular frets and the amount of wear I got after just 1-2 years made me look for alternatives, and now I'm not gonna have anything without SS frets(*)

Warmoth charges only $20 extra for SS frets if I remember correctly.
I would HAPPILY buy a mid-range Jackson, LTD, Ibanez or whatever if it has SS frets.

(*=I have a NGD coming in the next month or two... without SS frets, but I can explain why whenever it arrives...:ugh:)

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts

And a similar note, if you think, "man, stainless steel frets would be the big game-changer in my tone", you need to seriously reconsider your rig.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

For personal preference details can be fun but for the outside world completely useless.

Personally I don't care about which wood a guitar is made of.
However I prefer 25.5" scale length over Gibson for example, because I prefer the "brighter sound" even tho I could probably not tell in a blindtest.
If SS frets gives a brighter sound thats cool too, but I dont care about the "tone" of SS frets. But for durability.

Does my 25.5" personal preference disallow me to enjoy albums recording with Gibsons? Naah! I fucking love most Running Wild guitar tones, but I know most of it comes from amp / mic placement anyway, so whatever guitar he was using he could have had a baritone tele with humbuckers and I wouldn't notice difference anyway.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Then again, if your guitars came with SS frets to begin with, if there are any difference, who knows if it's the frets or anything else ;)
I've had guitars refretted with SS frets dude. I did it because they last longer and look great.

I know you love to waste your time over trivial shit like this, but most of us do not. :lol:

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I like stainless frets because they don't oxidize and wear forever. I have no idea if they sound different - I'm actually a little curious to watch this, but at the same time, if I find I prefer the tone of nickel, I don't know if I'd WANT to know that. :lol:

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I'm not saying that manufacturers should not OFFER stainless steel. I'm saying that the guys who like stainless should not dictate to everyone else.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had guitars refretted with SS frets dude. I did it because they last longer and look great.

I know you love to waste your time over trivial shit like this, but most of us do not. :lol:
I think you misunderstand what I'm saying here

Again: I dont CARE about the tone of nickel vs stainless steel frets

There's apparently a difference shown in the Warmoth video. But not enough for me to bother about it...

I only like SS frets becuase of the same reasons as you: they last long :) the looks I dont care about tho :lol: they do have a slight different color than nickel frets but... again, not so much :flex:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts