Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I know a killer fucking banjo/dobro guy that would push this shit right over the top. Then we can book you at the Ryman here in Nashville :yesway:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Also, does anyone else feel really old watching that video, where Lyle is the only one in the room NOT with a baby face? :lol: Where the fuck did the last ten years go?

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
I remember when Lyle was just a wee lad....:lol: Goddamn time flies :ugh:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The beard growing/switch to a more rootsy acoustic sound/look is a tricky phase, because everyone knows the main reason you do it is to show a disenfranchisement with the pretentious trappings of the shred/metal/prog world....

....but you also do it because it's way cheaper to do things like merch/logos/typefaces/album covers. Metal is like, a proper album cover runs $500+ minimum for logo + art. If you want shirts with unique art that's also more money. Roots is like, you can make an album cover on a budget of 25 cents. You just fire up google image search and use a stock type face.

It's very clever actually, a lot of guys in more metal/shred scenes eventually switch to the roots scene, and it's not all like, "My music reflects the phase of my personality". Sometimes it's just because you don't want to pay some dude $700-1200 for an oil painting album cover of an alien invasion and $200 per design for additional shirt designs, which you need 3 of minimum. You can sell shirts and have a site where everything is like, in Helvetica, and everyone will be equally happy to buy it.

It's one of the leading reasons people get out of metal/shreddy stuff. You have a buddy in a rootsier scene and you are just like "are you seriously selling shirts that just have your logo in Times New Roman? I had to pay a foreign guy $250 just to write the album title in sick ass runes."

In metal no one will buy something that doesn't feature a fucking sick illustration of a wizard riding a woolly mammoth. Even then, you are going to have to put in a lot of money/effort to differentiate your sick ass wizard riding a woolly mammoth from everyone elses.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
It's one of the leading reasons people get out of metal/shreddy stuff. You have a buddy in a rootsier scene and you are just like "are you seriously selling shirts that just have your logo in Times New Roman? I had to pay a foreign guy $250 just to write the album title in sick ass runes."
:lol: So true. I'm not going nearly as rootsy as Lyle, but I've been moving in that direction too. :lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.