Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Been checking out these pickups online for the last few days. Have any of you guys tried them?
They're quite expensive for a "try it for the hell of it" set of pickups, so I'm curious to hear what you guys think, or if you can think of something that gets pretty close for less coin.

My inner-Jon-Schaffer is raging.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
Toshiro once told me that Schaffer's tone for most of his work is just his les pauls, with stock gibson pups. That's also him playing through his $7000 Larry head into a marshall 4x12. Personally, I think the tone on "crucible of man" is stellar, so it's really up to you. I found a couple youtube videos of people using them. One was on an axe fx and he had a really cool schafferish tone.

$360+ is a lot to drop on a pickup not many people have tried...probably for that reason.

·
SPEEEEED HOOOOLES!!!
1,075 Posts
It's only $180 for a set of white covered ABH-1 Blackouts.

*off to eBay I GOOOOOOOOooooooo..........*

BTW: Since when were blackouts cheaper than EMG's?

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1b/40.2.005; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

Yeah, Schaffer said in an older, pre-Ripper interview that he used stock Gibsons in the studio. Framing Arm should be Bareknuckles, and Crucible is either the Icebucker or whatever WCR pickup it's based on.

Really, that tone is picking style and the amp more than the pickups, IMO. If you listen to the 2nd Demons&Wizards, after the Larrys were damaged, you can hear the difference that amp makes. I would just get some great sounding PAF style pickups and woodshed the riffing.

·
Read Only
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the heads up so far, fellas.

For what it's worth, I'm more interested in the pickups rather than necessarily copping his tone. The description of a "percussive low end" is intriguing to me, seeing as that's what I like in a rhythm tone (and am getting with my current rig.) I'm not really going for his tone as much as I am trying to further my own. I'm a big fan of lower-output PAF style pickups anyways, got 'em on some of my guitars :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts