Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so a friend of mine gave me a head and my new cabinet came in today, the Marshall M100HCFX (Generous!) with matching slant cabinet.

Now the problem is that the overdrive channels sound...diluted? Saturated? Maybe even a little muddy, did all I could with the equalization still, also the higher pitched pinch harmonics are crazy sweet but when you get to the low E it's hard to kick one out, my friend kinda agrees with me. He got sick of it then gave it to me and stuck with his old Line 6 head.

Now the question is, what can I do to get those harmonics out? He said maybe a Tube Screamer will help me out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also forgot to add something else
The guitars I used were a Schecter Omen 6 Ext FR and a Dean ML 79

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, I'll get one tomorrow and see how I go
Also would active pickups make a difference? Seems as though they would

·
Retarded P.A Overlord.
14,248 Posts
also the higher pitched pinch harmonics are crazy sweet but when you get to the low E it's hard to kick one out, my friend kinda agrees with me. He got sick of it then gave it to me and stuck with his old Line 6 head.
Honestly, it doesn't matter how many strings a guitar has, I always struggle like fuck to get pinches on the lowest string.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What kind of pickups do you use now? Actives do make it slightly easier to pinch harmonic, but I get great results from my passives also.
Just the stock standard Schecter Diamond pickups, and the DMT designed for the Dean ML :dime:

Honestly, it doesn't matter how many strings a guitar has, I always struggle like fuck to get pinches on the lowest string.
The issue is that with my old practice amp and a metal pedal made it easy to pinch, and with the same pedal through this amp it's nigh impossible. It's a little silly but I hope a screamer will help out.
If it doesn't I still got myself a Tube Screamer, I've heard many great things about it :yesway:

·
duder
13 Posts
To brighten up the guitars for low dollars and an easy mod, change the volume pots to 500K if they're not already at that value or 1M if they are. Also, try dialing in your sound with the head without the pedal first, then use the pedal as added flavour if necessary.

What metal pedal are you currently using?

·
Super Moderator
7,708 Posts
Try a tube screamer out, you should be able to get the harmonics acoustically.
This. Also work on how you scrape the side of your thumb across the string. You should be able to get a good squealie going on all the strings and you should be able to sort of hear it acoustically even without the guitar plugged in.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
To brighten up the guitars for low dollars and an easy mod, change the volume pots to 500K if they're not already at that value or 1M if they are. Also, try dialing in your sound with the head without the pedal first, then use the pedal as added flavour if necessary.

What metal pedal are you currently using?
I've already tried fiddling with the amp without the pedal and with
Also the pedal I'm using is the Digitech Death Metal that I got for Christmas a couple years back

http://www.digitech.com/system/product_attachments/48/medium/death_metal_angle.jpg?1286909247

This. Also work on how you scrape the side of your thumb across the string. You should be able to get a good squealie going on all the strings and you should be able to sort of hear it acoustically even without the guitar plugged in.
I noticed that my technique had gotten a little rusty after playing around with a p90 on a clean channel for a good few months, so I got my friend who's been a crazy shredhead for 13 or so years, he said "It's possible but even when you get one it's not very good"
He thinks a Tube Screamer would work out well too, also borrowed my other friends guitar (Jackson with an EMG 81/85) and it made little distance, we'll see how I go
Edit: I've also got a Tube Screamer coming in the mail

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've also decided to get a new guitar and mod it with some high output pickups and whatnot, I'm having trouble deciding between a couple at the moment
Ibanez GRG321EX -
Keen on this one because of the Gibraltar bridge, looks real comfy and I love Ibanez neck joints but I'm not so used to the neck, I heard that you get used to the flat back and I've got an Ibanez case laying around with nothing in it
Electric Guitars - RGR321EX | Ibanez guitars

Dean Michael Amott Tyrant X
Liking this one because Dean makes quality instruments, I'm a fan of Arch Enemy but that's pretty irrelevant. V's are pretty comfy in my lap, and this one seems that it'll sit in my lap nicely. Grover Tuners, both of the above have a Basswood body but I don't quite mind its tonality. I also love the Dean C neck
http://tinyurl.com/blzzoud
And here's the neck joint:
http://tinyurl.com/d4klz3o

If I'm to get the Ibby I'll use some EMG pickups and if the Dean I'll have a look around at a few options that I'm favoring

Also if you have something better in that price range I'm open for suggestions

Sorry if this post is crazy long

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
If the pickups are too close to the strings, the extra magnetic pull can put a damper on sustain and harmonics.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go for the RGR. Dean make anything BUT quality guitars :lol:
Guess it's another one of those opinion things
Played an ML at a store and I bought it that same day :metal:

If the pickups are too close to the strings, the extra magnetic pull can put a damper on sustain and harmonics.
I'll try messing around with the pickup height then, might help out I hope
Also hell yeah Decibel Guitars :yesway:

And the Tube Screamer came in today, Can squeal pretty well now but only on the first OD channel, the second one gets crazy fuzzy when I'm not playing. Sounds awesome with all applications :agreed:

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
Gain and EQ always helps.. but you really want to make sure the string in question is intonated correctly. I've found that if it's off, you get those weak, airy sounding pinches.

Sit down with your tuner and get that saddle in the right position. Then crank that bitch up, and I bet you it'll squeal like a fucking piglet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Gain and EQ always helps.. but you really want to make sure the string in question is intonated correctly. I've found that if it's off, you get those weak, airy sounding pinches.

Sit down with your tuner and get that saddle in the right position. Then crank that bitch up, and I bet you it'll squeal like a fucking piglet.
Just checked it after I read this post and it's still intonated, I check it every time I change strings to be sure

Also like I've said before I've done all I can with the EQ and had the gain as high as I could go.

TS9DX worked out really well though

1 - 20 of 21 Posts