Metal Guitarist Forums banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Puddin
1,793 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Stupid Motorola Backflip: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 1.5; en-us; MB300 Build/Blur_Version.0.13.37.MB300.ATT.en.US Flex/P014) AppleWebKit/528.5+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Mobile Safari/525.20.1)

Yeesh. Again, ATGATT. I have to admit I'm guilty of riding in jeans and once without a jacket, but this was on a cruiser going at a leisurely pace. Still, I can never bring myself to ride without a helmet, and now probably not without full leathers ever again. I will think of this thread every time I get on a bike from now on. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
My buddy Jeff (jaxnrr1 here) one hit the tire wall at the desending S-curve at Laguna Seca in excess of 100mph, and has the ugly scar on his head to prove it. He was wearing a helmet, which cracked in half. That helmet is the reason he is walking, talking, and chewing solid foods.

I don't understand some people. Why do people choose to accept more risk than necessary?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeesh. Again, ATGATT. I have to admit I'm guilty of riding in jeans and once without a jacket, but this was on a cruiser going at a leisurely pace. Still, I can never bring myself to ride without a helmet, and now probably not without full leathers ever again. I will think of this thread every time I get on a bike from now on. :lol:
:agreed: Once I got used to riding in full gear all the time, any time I'm on it without (even just flipping it around in the driveway) I feel naked. ATGATT = Awesome peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Jesus fucking christ.

I have a really hard time relating to this thread. I've never driven a motorcycle, and only ridden one once (with a helmet) when I caught a ride from a friend on a stretch of road that didn't get above 45 (and this friend was pretty responsible, so we can't have gotten over 50). However, I've been a lifelong cyclist, mostly mountain biking but the last couple years on a road bike. Barring doing loops around my driveway while doing tech work to check an adjustment, I always have a helmet on. Even in college, biking to class, I went without for the first week or two before I started to feel really weird about it and started riding with a helmet again.

Hell, I should send my brother a link to this thread. He's a competitive cyclist and while he's damned fast he gets nowhere as fast as these guys do on their motorcyles, I'm sure. Yet, he's on his third (at least) helmet now, and I've seen what he's done to a few of them. If a guy doing intervals on a road bike can shatter a helmet when he hits some gravel on a corner a little over 30, then even rolling to the grocery store and back on a motorcycle without a helmet is fucking retarded. He's got some pretty nasty roadburn from that crash (his wrist and shoulder, plus probably his hip, are permanently scarred), but unfortunately the sort of protection you can get away with on a motorcycle doesn't work so well on a road bike, when you're pounding up a hill in 90+ degree weather with your heart rate pushing anaerobic territory...

My condolences to your friend, Chris, but if she doesn't see a common trend here, she's a fucking idiot. :/

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Hurr Durr!

·
THUNDERBEEEEAR!
3,920 Posts
how stupid can you get? I always wear protection when driving. Helmet, kevlar jacket with built in turtleback armor, kevlar pants and so on.
In my mind that's mandatory, and I've even bought a turtleback for my mountainbiking needs.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The only time I have ever not worn a helmet is actually the only time I ever got into an accident skiing.

I was standing at the bottom of the hill, skis/helmet/gear off, eating lunch. This was by the rope tow line. A novice first timer PLOWS into me. Got sent to the hospital with a mild concussion. :lol: Of course I always wear a helmet when I am actually skiing. Don't really do any helmet sports these days though.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Jesus fucking christ.

I have a really hard time relating to this thread. I've never driven a motorcycle, and only ridden one once (with a helmet) when I caught a ride from a friend on a stretch of road that didn't get above 45 (and this friend was pretty responsible, so we can't have gotten over 50). However, I've been a lifelong cyclist, mostly mountain biking but the last couple years on a road bike. Barring doing loops around my driveway while doing tech work to check an adjustment, I always have a helmet on. Even in college, biking to class, I went without for the first week or two before I started to feel really weird about it and started riding with a helmet again.

Hell, I should send my brother a link to this thread. He's a competitive cyclist and while he's damned fast he gets nowhere as fast as these guys do on their motorcyles, I'm sure. Yet, he's on his third (at least) helmet now, and I've seen what he's done to a few of them. If a guy doing intervals on a road bike can shatter a helmet when he hits some gravel on a corner a little over 30, then even rolling to the grocery store and back on a motorcycle without a helmet is fucking retarded. He's got some pretty nasty roadburn from that crash (his wrist and shoulder, plus probably his hip, are permanently scarred), but unfortunately the sort of protection you can get away with on a motorcycle doesn't work so well on a road bike, when you're pounding up a hill in 90+ degree weather with your heart rate pushing anaerobic territory...

My condolences to your friend, Chris, but if she doesn't see a common trend here, she's a fucking idiot. :/
Mountain biking is a dangerous sport. A member of my extended family is paralyzed from the waist down after a nasty crash. Wheelchair bound for the rest of his life. He was wearing a helmet too.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I don't wear a helmet when I ride my bicycle but I also don't ride in the street, I stick to the paved bike trails and (although I know it's not technically legal) the sidewalk. I don't trust idiots in cars to not hit me in the street, no way in hell, even with a helmet, I'd ride in the street. Something just doesn't feel right about a 15mph bike trying to ride on a 40-45mph street. Now if they had dedicated bike lanes here, I'd be all over it, with a helmet.

·
One-Two-Nine-Five
598 Posts
I'll be the first to say that my riding gear isn't the best, BUT, I'd rather sweat and look funny in my florescent yellow jacket than be a bro in shorts and a tshirt. All these people do is make headlines and make A) motorcyclists look bad and B) anyone with a "sporty" looking bike bad. I have no interest in doing that shit. I'm cheap and don't want to pay for and fix the inevitable damage associated with it and honestly, it's just not what I want to do on a bike.

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
This is just reinforcement for me... I'm looking at getting a bike in the next month or two, and I cannot emphasise just how much there will be protective gear all around. The thought of feeling "too awesome to need it" just plain confuses and enrages me.

I'd rather not burn my face off, snap my neck, crack my skull, and rip up my legs to the thigh from what could have just been a slip off and dust off of my gear :nuts:

·
Resident Rivethead.
1,541 Posts
I'll also add a truly infuriating story of douchebaggery;

The missus' step brother's fiance (yes, too long a description) works with a guy who ended up in an induced coma in hospital for a week because he flew off his bike doing 180km/h in a 110km/h zone, in the emergency parking lane.

He ended up clipping some poor old lady's car and flying the fuck over it and breaking several bones in the process.

Come healing time, has he learned his lesson? No. Now he thinks he's some kind of ubertough douchebag because he survived it :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.