Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we're talking about how I had to go get new jeans, because what I had were getting too worn. One guy asks how much I wash my jeans, to which I reply I wear them twice, unless

A. I sweat unusually,
B. work in the yard or something,
C. spill something on them, or
D. take a dump that day.

In those cases, I will only wear them once, then wash.

Well, the guys here agreed on A, B, and C, but laughed about D. Without going into graphic detail, but understanding that we're all as hygienic as humanly possible, they said they don't think that that's particularly a factor.

Thoughts? Maybe it's my OCD kicking in, but I am absolutely phobic about smelling.

Why is this in Lifestyle, Health, etc.? Well, I think it relates to that. I found it to be an interesting topic, in regards to people few cleanliness, hygiene, and overall health.

·
Bork!
8,292 Posts
I don't consider D a factor at all, but I'm not going to laugh at you because of it. I have a few friends with much, much weirder tendencies. Hell, my old bassist couldn't take a shit with clothes on and he was obsessive with cleaning himself before and after. His shits were like 45 mins - an hour as a result.

As far as jeans go, if I don't wear them to work at my venue (where I sweat, like, a lot), I could wear them all week. Three days is pretty typical, but it's not uncommon for me to wear them for 5+ days. I have quite a few pairs of jeans and they could last me a few months without doing a load of laundry. My shirts are another story, though...

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Our own habits?

-I don't wear shirts, except when I have to. (Anything public, around the house, nope. What kind of man enjoys wearing shirts? Not a barbarian, that's who.) If I can get away with not wearing a shirt, or wearing something minimalist (sleeveless, sometimes I make razor slashes to increase ventilation), I'll go for that.
-Underwear are optional, strictly on an "If I feel like it" basis. Unless the material of the pants is pretty abrasive.
-Socks get washed the most. Every wearing. I do lots of physical shit.
-Pants are probably washed every 3 times I wear them. Unless they get really filthy. If they get filthy in a cool way (the dust of the desert) I will purposefully not wash them. The dust of the desert/high plains smells fucking great. Standing out in the wind and letting the airbourne grit hit you makes you feel cleaner than most showers.

Edit: Also Jeff. I used to have a serious dirt phobia as a kid, and I still wash my hands a lot more than most people. It's funny though. Because it's all in your head. Scientifically speaking, anything in civilization is fucking filthy. Eat at a restaurant? Everything is contaminated with feces bacteria. If you go anywhere public where lots of people are. You bet your ass everything is filthy. The outdoors is much much cleaner.

I lightened up as the years went on. Dirt and the kind of stuff you come into contact with outdoors is actually way cleaner than anything you can find in a city.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I don't consider D a factor at all, but I'm not going to laugh at you because of it. I have a few friends with much, much weirder tendencies. Hell, my old bassist couldn't take a shit with clothes on and he was obsessive with cleaning himself before and after. His shits were like 45 mins - an hour as a result.
Don't knock pooping nude until you try it. :yesway: They only thing I make sure I have on when having a crap is shoes. Had one of those fucking hobo spiders run towards me while on the shitter once and I didn't have shoes on. Worst day of my life.

That said, I kinda agree with everyone else here. I'll also wash/dry my jeans often since the tend to get "stretched" out.

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
Wirelessly posted

If I've worn them every day and haven't had any sort of 'incident' in them (eurgh), I wash 'em about every two, maybe three weeks or so (assuming they don't smell bad for some reason). I don't really wear jeans so often these days, so it now translates to about every 20 wears or something. I'm pretty sure jean makers recommend you don't wash them very often.

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
I think D is pretty crazy too. I can't imagine not taking a dump at least once a day and I think it would be a waste to only wear jeans once. If you take multiple dumps in a day, do you wear multiple pairs of jeans? I just don't understand how D could be a factor either.

I typically wear a pair of jeans 2-3 days before I wash it, but my wife always tells me that I'm crazy and that jeans are supposed to be worn for several weeks before you wash them. I just tell her that that's disgusting. After three days, my jeans start smelling like sweat. Depending on the season, they could smell like sweat faster like that. In mid-summer, I only wear jeans one day and then wash them because they're pretty damn sweaty after one day in that temperature.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think D is pretty crazy too. I can't imagine not taking a dump at least once a day and I think it would be a waste to only wear jeans once. If you take multiple dumps in a day, do you wear multiple pairs of jeans? I just don't understand how D could be a factor either.
No, just one pair. :lol: But at that point, in my head they're no longer fit to wear again, before washing. Like I said, I have a feeling that while I've improved quite a bit in the last few months, this is still my OCD creeping in.

I typically wear a pair of jeans 2-3 days before I wash it, but my wife always tells me that I'm crazy and that jeans are supposed to be worn for several weeks before you wash them. I just tell her that that's disgusting. After three days, my jeans start smelling like sweat. Depending on the season, they could smell like sweat faster like that. In mid-summer, I only wear jeans one day and then wash them because they're pretty damn sweaty after one day in that temperature.
Well yeah, sweat is a different story; if they get funky, they get funky. I guess it's sounding like much of it's in my head, not so much a real concern.

Though I don't think I could go 10 wearings before washing. That would indeed drive me nuts. :rofl:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
No, just one pair. :lol: But at that point, in my head they're no longer fit to wear again, before washing. Like I said, I have a feeling that while I've improved quite a bit in the last few months, this is still my OCD creeping in.
I guess that's just the thing about OCD. Each person with OCD has it for something different. Like I have never been able to relate to any of the things you have OCD for that you've explained, but at the same time, you probably couldn't identify with mine.

On that subject, my wife originally was like "Oh, Eric's unorganized here!" and she moved everything around to what she thought was orderly and neat. As soon as I saw that, I returned everything back to exactly where it was. She realized after that that I AM very organized, but that I have my own unique system of where everything has to be. :lol: She was like "But that's illogical!" and I was like "No, my way is very logical to me. That's exactly why I use it."

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess that's just the thing about OCD. Each person with OCD has it for something different. Like I have never been able to relate to any of the things you have OCD for that you've explained, but at the same time, you probably couldn't identify with mine.

On that subject, my wife originally was like "Oh, Eric's unorganized here!" and she moved everything around to what she thought was orderly and neat. As soon as I saw that, I returned everything back to exactly where it was. She realized after that that I AM very organized, but that I have my own unique system of where everything has to be. :lol: She was like "But that's illogical!" and I was like "No, my way is very logical to me. That's exactly why I use it."
Yeah, everyone with it is different, but with some themes being similar. I can relate to yours, for sure.

After reading that Hilfiger article, I guess I really need to reevaluate how much I wash jeans, though I think he's on the extreme.

I did just get an absolutely splendid pair of jeans, that are neither too baggy, nor too tight, and are just the perfect length. I'm not a hipster, so my jean choices tend to be a bit limited these days, as I've found. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Jean elitism is ridiculous these days. I wear the $8 Wal-mart kind. The off brand Wranglers. Something stitched by a kid in a sweatshop is something stitched by a kid in a sweatshop, no matter what label you stick on it.

That being said, the only pants worth paying mega $$$$$ for are Arborwears. Carhartts are OK as far as the double front stuff goes, but these are even more extremely durable and have the gusseted crotch to allow JCVD esque high kicks. Plus, the fabric is chainsaw resistant. Not chainsaw proof mind you, but chainsaw resistant. You can rest all kinds of shit on these that would destroy regular pants. Gramiccis are OK too. Other than that, all pants that aren't outdoor/work specialty gear are the same thing with different labels.

Original Tree Climbers' Pants || Arborwear

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jean elitism is ridiculous these days. I wear the $8 Wal-mart kind. The off brand Wranglers. Something stitched by a kid in a sweatshop is something stitched by a kid in a sweatshop, no matter what label you stick on it.

That being said, the only pants worth paying mega $$$$$ for are Arborwears. Carhartts are OK as far as the double front stuff goes, but these are even more extremely durable and have the gusseted crotch to allow JCVD esque high kicks. Plus, the fabric is chainsaw resistant. Not chainsaw proof mind you, but chainsaw resistant. You can rest all kinds of shit on these that would destroy regular pants. Gramiccis are OK too. Other than that, all pants that aren't outdoor/work specialty gear are the same thing with different labels.

Original Tree Climbers' Pants || Arborwear
I wear $28 Old Navy jeans, which are just as good as the $50+ at Gap, which is the same company anyway. They're more comfortable than the Levi's I used to wear years ago, and they were awesome when I crashed my motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.