Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up Jeff Loomis' Rockhouse DVD on Saturday, and got to watch it yesterday afternoon...

One really weird thing I noticed is that what he calls the diminished scale isn't actually the full octatonic scale, but is this hexatonic pattern...

e--------------------------------------11-13-14------
b-----------------------------10-11-13---------------
G----------------------8-10-11-------------------------
D---------------7-8-10--------------------------------
A---------6-8-9---------------------------------------
E---5-6-8---------------------------------------------

Kind of strange, but it actually sounds very cool...

·
is totally evil.
88 Posts
Personally, I prefer the hexatonic scale pattern over the octatonic pattern, and my teacher teaches it like that so it makes it easier for me anyways. <_<

On the subject of Loomis' Rock House DVD, assuming you've watched plenty/all of it, what's your opinion of the DVD as instructional material?

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I prefer the hexatonic scale pattern over the octatonic pattern, and my teacher teaches it like that so it makes it easier for me anyways. <_<

On the subject of Loomis' Rock House DVD, assuming you've watched plenty/all of it, what's your opinion of the DVD as instructional material?
What I thought was weird was that that pattern doesn't actually exist within the full octatonic diminished scale; it would actually be more like this...

e--------------------------------------11-12-14------
b-----------------------------10-11-13---------------
G----------------------8-9-11-------------------------
D---------------7-8-10--------------------------------
A---------6-7-9---------------------------------------
E---5-6-8---------------------------------------------

Regarding the DVD, it is really good value for money, but it's really aimed solely at Jeff Loomis fans. It's great if you want to learn all his pet licks and patterns, and some Nevermore riffs, but there isn't a lot of detailed technique or theory explanation involved.

I'd definitely recommend it if you're into his playing though! It's certainly kept me busy and sparked some new ideas.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts