Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had a go at playing bass in the fusion band I've been playing with rather than guitar, so we'd have a guitar/bass/drums lineup. Went really really fucking well, and we ended up jamming through Proto-cosmos and Protocol a few times.

The weird part was when my drummer said that it seems like my timing's better when playing bass than when playing guitar. Has anyone else experienced something like this?

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Maybe you were feeling the pulse of the song more, since it was your responsibility to help drive the groove, as opposed to play over the groove as guitarists tend to do.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That could well be it. It'll be interesting to see if the difference is still apparent next time I have a rehearsal on guitar...

·
Wyrd 8 Stringer
241 Posts
I'm bipolar in a guitar and bass kinda way. I love playing both. And Protocosmos is one of my favorite tunes to play.:yesway: What's cool about the bass line is that is has a 3 over 4 feel (dotted quarters). Initially kinda weird but very cool when you internalize it. For the guitar playing over the changes is fun as hell. I kinda understand about feeling the time better on the bass. If you're playing bass fingerstyle then you don't have that disconnect you have with a pick. Maybe that's what you're experiencing?

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm bipolar in a guitar and bass kinda way. I love playing both. And Protocosmos is one of my favorite tunes to play.:yesway: What's cool about the bass line is that is has a 3 over 4 feel (dotted quarters). Initially kinda weird but very cool when you internalize it. For the guitar playing over the changes is fun as hell. I kinda understand about feeling the time better on the bass. If you're playing bass fingerstyle then you don't have that disconnect you have with a pick. Maybe that's what you're experiencing?
Yeah, that tune is just stupidly fun to play, although it does take a while to get the feel right -- it's actually much harder than it sounds! The changes are fun as well...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts