Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Really? :eek:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It looks to me like the ball-end wraps are resting on the part of the saddle where the string breaks over. Can't be good for tone, tuning stability, intonation or string life.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)metal:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

It looks to me like the ball-end wraps are resting on the part of the saddle where the string breaks over. Can't be good for tone, tuning stability, intonation or string life.
+1. WTF? :lol:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts

Actually, what it looks like to me, is that he's removed the set screw on the back of the saddle that would clamp the block inside the saddle against the string, and instead just runs it thru that hole

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts

Yes, that's what he's done, but there isn't enough distance between the back of the saddle block and the front edge of the saddle, to the ball-end wraps are resting on the saddle.

·
Registered
136 Posts
He and the singer are stange humans. I played a show with them back in 99 and they were being dicks backstage. Kept asking us where they could get a $20 blowjob and shit. They just had a run in with the cops acouple days before the show when they found abunch of drugs on their rv. Barrett and Culross were cool though.

·
Metal Acolyte
603 Posts
And the fine tuners become just cosmetic appointments; they no longer serve any function. Phil apparently likes the idea of a locking nut, but seems to prefer a traditional Fender-style trem. I guess it was just easier to turn the Floyd into one rather than try to retrofit a Fender trem onto the guitar.

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
Yes, that's what he's done, but there isn't enough distance between the back of the saddle block and the front edge of the saddle, to the ball-end wraps are resting on the saddle.
What do you mean, "There isn't enough distance"? Not enough distance for what? I don't follow you. Looks to me like it'd work just perfectly actually.

And the fine tuners become just cosmetic appointments; they no longer serve any function.
How so? How do you figure the fine tuners don't function anymore? That's a Lo-Profile floyd. They have a long process off the back of each saddle that goes under the baseplate, and through the back, where the fine tuners rest on them. This wouldn't work with an OFR, but the Lo-Pro's it works just fine.

I swear to christ, I'm gonna try this! If nothing else, to prove or disprove that this works :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
What do you mean, "There isn't enough distance"? Not enough distance for what? I don't follow you. Looks to me like it'd work just perfectly actually.
What he means is the wrapped back end of the string at the ball end is now sitting on the break point of the saddle, rather than behind the saddle, like it is on a fixed bridge. I really don't want to know what that guitar is going to sound like.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One of the many effects would be pretty much killing all the guitars sustain I would imagine :lol:

Not that Malevolent Creation has a lot of songs that require extreme sustain :lol:

·
I miss you Avalanche
3,519 Posts
What he means is the wrapped back end of the string at the ball end is now sitting on the break point of the saddle, rather than behind the saddle, like it is on a fixed bridge. I really don't want to know what that guitar is going to sound like.
OOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhhh........

[action=Regor]gets what you guys are talking about now....[/action]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts