Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And man, what a bloody good time! We took a beginner class and then did the paired climb/belay thing, then had the whole place to ourselves with the auto-belays at the end of the night.

Hell of a workout, and those ascents with the ledge on them are hard as fuck. I did pretty well on the straight stuff, but since I'm built like a cyclist (tree trunk legs and little noodle arms for biceps :lol:) some of the higher difficulty walls just shit all over me.

The gym:

Me:

My better half, kicking ass:

And me, trying to smile for the camera after realizing that when you don't tighten the harness all the way, your nuts get crushed in basically a canvas vice grip when you're descending. :lol:

Anyone else do this often? Seems like a cool way to burn one night a week, though I wish it wasn't so expensive. It's around $20/visit at the local place here, which includes rentals. Pretty sure I'm going to pick up a pair of shoes for it since renting nasty smelly shoes is pretty terrible. Definitely a pretty neat way to spend a night and get one hell of a workout.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
ITT: Chris starts pricing out carbon fiber climbing shoes.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
KEY FEATURES
Stealth® Mi6™ rubber outsole (3.5mm)
10 oz. per pair - The lightest climbing shoes in existence!
Breathable Clarino synthetic leather upper - Stretches up to a full size
Single-strand Velcro closure system
Fish hook midsole - Improves edging power
Stiffness - Soft
Vegan
:nope:

Also, oblig. no carbon no care.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sweet. I used to love indoor rock climbing before I got fat. There was a place 3 blocks away from my old studio that was the largest in the Southern Hemisphere at the time and it was great fun. Those mini overhang arches look fun.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Nice. The gym we go to has a location with a badass wall and some bouldering areas, I try to get in there every now and then but of course it is the least convenient location in town for us :lol: Tons of fun. Quite a lot of awesome outdoor spots here too, but I mostly stick to bouldering if I'm out in the wild.

·
Pizza party!
3,284 Posts
I actually got my wife and me a pair of lesson/one-month passes at our local gym for Christmas, along with a belay device in her favourite color; we're sorting out the gear side of things right now, since rental fees add up real quick and we don't know enough people here yet to borrow shit. I imagine that we'll start going early in January.

We don't expect to get hardcore into climbing, itself, but the skills that it builds are super important for our mountaineering goals.

Let me just say how fucking excited I am to have another sport to buy gear for, too, because I really felt like I wasn't already spending enough money on leisure activities. :yesway:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I used to climb a lot, actually, till tendonitis told me to fuck off.

It's a good time. You know you had a good session when, during the drive home, your arms don't want to turn the steering wheel :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The only outdoor activity with a subculture even more elitist and dickish than biking!

AND you drive a Subaru?

You are one Telemark ski trip away from being able to move out west.

:wub:

Have you started carrying your keys on a 'biner so everyone knows how badass you are yet? (I don't climb habitually, but I wear tightish pants.) So you can hang with the rest of us cool kids?

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
The only outdoor activity with a subculture even more elitist and dickish than biking!

AND you drive a Subaru?

You are one Telemark ski trip away from being able to move out west.

:wub:

Have you started carrying your keys on a 'biner so everyone knows how badass you are yet? (I don't climb habitually, but I wear tightish pants.) So you can hang with the rest of us cool kids?

I keep my spare on a mini 'biner, its useful to be able to clip to the drawstring of my running shorts when I'm out for a jog, since they don't have pockets. I can't decide if that makes me more or less of a douchebag. :lol:

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Thanks, Chris, for sending the message to my climbing wife that I should climb up plastic walls indoors with her.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
Wait until you see what the accessories cost! :lol:

POOR4LYFE
i have to assume its because the materials most of them are made from have to be machined from the highest quality materials possible, considering many of them are responsible for saving your life in the event of an accident or slip....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts