Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, i have decided it would be totally killer if i started up a project like this. just putting together a guitar since i already have one im working on building from scratch. i know warmoth is an obvious choice. but although i am aware they are of the best quality, their prices are just insane. and i am looking for something cheaper. any thoughts? what are some reputable dealers other than warmoth?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If Warmoth prices are "insane," you need to either save up or consider buying a Squier and modding it :lol:

KNE Guitars looks interesting. Can't vouch for their quality though.
Oh holy shit, they have a "real" Explorer shape.

:burns:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Oh holy shit, they have a "real" Explorer shape.

:burns:
I know, right? I'm torn between that and a KV. Apparently KnE is making necks now, but he only uses maple. If mahogany was an option I'd buy one with an Xplorer body asap.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Warmoth is awesome, and only really gets expensive if you have them finish. Even then, it's reasonable for the quality of the finished product; it won't be a "budget" project, but the guitar won't play like a "budget" instrument either.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Warmoth is awesome, and only really gets expensive if you have them finish. Even then, it's reasonable for the quality of the finished product; it won't be a "budget" project, but the guitar won't play like a "budget" instrument either.
For sure, if you look at as "I'm spending $XXX for a project guitar..." it's expensive. But if you consider that your spending that money for a custom, made in the USA instrument that requires only a small amount of DIY, then it's a steal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There's a pretty good parts/kits maker from Germany, near Berlin:
ML-Gutar Factory
(Available on ebay as ML-Factory-Guitarrenshop)

So far, I got a Strat body from them, which got a Stagg neck and Squier pickguard knocked onto. The result is a pretty nice strat.
The bodies seem to be somewhat slimer than the genuine Fender ones, so probably other parts are slightly "out off scale" as well. The switch of the Squier pickguard couldn't be made to fit, I replaced it by 3 microswitches. Looks crappy, works well.
A second strat kit awaits completion. Bought as B range via ebay. Still rather good wood. Only the heel of the neck will require some work to really make it match the neck pocket. I guess that issue won't occur with A range kits. Don't rely on that, though.
The standard hardware that comes with their kits is rather generic quality. It works, but there is better stuff available.. For some extra money, they offer Wilkinson bridges, pickups etc., which seem to be okay enough.
Depending on shipping costs, they might be an intersting alternative.
English kinda spoken there.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the info guys! looks like i have alot of places that i need to check out.

my idea is to hopefully put together some builds and sell them off. hopefully for a profit :lol:

any opinions on how good those kits are that you often see on ebay? here is an example of one.

7 String Solid Body DIY Electric Guitar Builder Kit with Mahogany Unfinished New | eBay

of course i am just talking of using the wood, im sure the electronics are pretty useless. i would get different electronics for a true build. any experiences with these?

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
I'm curious about putting the neck on.
As I understand, you will need inserts and machine screws for a mahogany bolt on. I don't see any in the pic tho. Maybe I missed em

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
my idea is to hopefully put together some builds and sell them off. hopefully for a profit :lol:
Just a warning regarding this idea.

I've been around the Warmoth forum for a while and have built three Warmoth guitars myself.

I've seen many guys try to do this and fail miserably. I'm not trying to discourage you but just letting you know to do some research first.

Unless you're bringing some serious value add to the build most (99.9%) of people are not going to pay more than what they can get the individual pieces from any one of these companies.

As an example if you're a great finish guy and took some bare bodies and finished them and resold them you might make a little cash.

These guitar pieces can be very high quality but their re-sale value as complete instruments is usually crap so do your homework if you're looking at this as some sort of business venture.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts