Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I'd like to say I'm very happy to be a part of this forum's community, I've been lurking for quite some time and decided to finally register!

I have a '93 Dual Rectifier, and a Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet.

The cab I'm using right now is a 1960 classic Marshall cab loaded with non-reissue greenbacks.. The cab is great and I'm most likely going to hold on to it, but it doesn't do the metal thing well, which is what I'm starting to need with upcoming bands and such.

A few names come to mind.. I'm thinking maybe a Vader 4x12, Avatar 4x12, if I kind find it cheap an Uberkab, Maybe a Diezel cab, or Recto cab...And possibly port city?

And what kind of speakers do you think are overall the best for big low endy death metal sounds for these amps? Preferably pretty tight, and bright enough to cut through well, with alot of headroom.

-Thanks!

·
Read Only
3 Posts
My recto and uber both sound great through a recto 4x12. I know some people don't like the v30s but I've come to love them.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
I have two Vader 4x12's and a 2x12; i prefer them over any cab i have tried so far.

They don't color your tone as bright as the V30's do, and have more head room; if anything it might worth a try.

(also they are hand built in the US, use US built Eminence speakers, have a tear proof "tour guard", similar to a truck bed.

Both of my 4x12's were taken on tour (used for about two years on a extensive touring schedule) by Born of Osiris (and used by the three opener bands), I'm sure they have been dropped / scrapped / rolled around in the back of a van; however they look dead mint still.

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
And what kind of speakers do you think are overall the best for big low endy death metal sounds for these amps? Preferably pretty tight, and bright enough to cut through well, with alot of headroom
The first thing that comes to my mind after reading that description is Vader.

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
I love the greenback equipped Marshalls. :lol: They don't do loud, but they do a midrange that can and will cut through anything. Our demo was recorded with one. :D

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Tom and Samer might be right that Vaders are up your alley (with their relatively even-response "modeling" speakers), but I second the V30 recommendation. Very tight and strong bass with an ear-bleed inducing midrange spike that gives your sound authority and cut. They're the most popular metal speaker for a reason. If you want to be different, a Mesa cab with C90's or a Vader cab will give you a cool sound as well.

Lots of death metal guys use Marshall cabs but I don't really care for them.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I might take my Egnater Tourmaster 4x12 back from my friend if I go for V30's to save some money, otherwise it's looking like I'm doing a Vader..The greenbacks sound good, but they always sound like they're on the brink of falling out of the cabinet with these amps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also I'm a little iffy about whether or not the vader has the midrange to really snarl and cut through without sounding too hollow and dark

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
If you have to run a ten band graphic EQ to keep the cab from sounding scooped, the cab is doing something wrong..
Pah. :p Just another tool, dawg. The Vader cabs are punishing from what I'm told; to me cabs are more about aesthetics and construction quality. Speakers, stuffing, and EQ changes can be tweaked elsewhere if genuinely necessary, although you're of course constrained to the volume of your chosen cab. :2c:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
no, I agree - get a cab that sounds how you want straight out of the gate :lol:

·
El Kabong
5,037 Posts
Also I'm a little iffy about whether or not the vader has the midrange to really snarl and cut through without sounding too hollow and dark
They cut pretty decently. They sound slightly scooped, but it's nothing that can't be overcome by turning the mid knob on the amp up a little more, and they seem to have a spike in the upper mids that cuts well but doesn't sound honky like the V30s can. V30s can still do very well for death metal, but if you want a really "low endy" sound, you'll be sacrificing a bit of tightness compared to more modern speakers.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I'll just buy a vader and see what happens.. It's between that, and just keeping the marshall cab and getting another egnater tourmaster 4x12 with V30's

·
Registered
322 Posts
I also have a 90's 2 channel Dual Rect. I've been using it through a 1960 lead cab with the g12t-75's. No issue's at all, sound like a beast. I've never tried a vader but the way everyone is talking it would be really interesting to try out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also have a 90's 2 channel Dual Rect. I've been using it through a 1960 lead cab with the g12t-75's. No issue's at all, sound like a beast. I've never tried a vader but the way everyone is talking it would be really interesting to try out.
Nice! I'm gonna pick one up probably as soon as I get this marshall cab off my hands, so I'll tell you how that goes unless you get one first.. Should sound pretty good though :metal:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts