Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after tinkering around with my modded marshall I've found that while it produces some noise. A large portion of it disappears when I touch the bridge of my guitar (consistant effect when trying a number of different guitars).

Some history..... my friend and I were never able to isolate a slight buzz in my hometheater system as well as the 2.0 stereo in my bedroom. In both cases they are slight but if you know to listen for it, it is there.

So I suspect there might be something with my house's electrical system.

What are my options? Is there a cheap fix for at least the guitar? As that's the one where it is most dramatic.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
How old is your house?

Main grounds are usually run from the electrical panel to the main water line, right where it enters the foundation of your house.

It's possible that over time, some corrosion has built up between the ground cable and the water line, preventing a solid connection. I'm not sure what the best fix would be, but that's a good starting point to investigate.

I can't imagine it would cost too much to have an electrician run a new ground, but that may depend on how far it has to go, and whether your basement is finished.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
I swear I replied in this thread that grounding a houses electrical system is easy to do, maybe it got drew'd.

my house is super old and shitty and I had to ground it. In your electrical box find the common ground, usually an electrical pin block, just run a ground cable from it to ground. Either to outside with a copper grounding rod in the ground, or better yet, to a copper water pipes in your basement, those work as ground. Use like a 6-10 gauge green coated copper cable.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Read the title, and the first thing that came to mind was this...

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I think exploring this is worthwhile as two entertainment systems plus my music gear is being affected.

Thst trip lite looks like a good idea as well.

As for the movie up. They emotionally sucker punch you with perhaps one of the best and saddest beginning of a movie and then follow it up with a terrible old man and boy adventure.

·
Banned
1,542 Posts
How old is your house?

Main grounds are usually run from the electrical panel to the main water line, right where it enters the foundation of your house.

It's possible that over time, some corrosion has built up between the ground cable and the water line, preventing a solid connection. I'm not sure what the best fix would be, but that's a good starting point to investigate.

I can't imagine it would cost too much to have an electrician run a new ground, but that may depend on how far it has to go, and whether your basement is finished.
It wouldn't even be a matter of replacing the line.

If the electrician who installed it in the first place had half a brain, there's sufficient cable in place to cut, install a new fitting and reconnect. It would take a competent electrician all of a half hour to inspect the ground line and fix it!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts