Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm defining best in terms of how well the parody lyrics fit within the original lyrics, not only syntactically but that the spirit and style were saved. The best ones also have a certain critique on the original as well (usually explored more in the video)

I feel that the best is Gump. He starts the lyrics the same was as Lump and it fits perfectly with the iconic image of forrest gump sitting on the bench. nice start. then he just describes how bad that stupid movie is. "his buddy bubba was a shrimp lovin' man" lol. Also he sounds so close to the original that it's believable that POTUS could have recorded it.

Second best is Like A Surgeon because not only does surgeon rhyme perfectly with virgin but there's the extended joke about heartbeats "beating for the very *last* time." perfect writing.

Honorable mention to Tacky (parody of Happy) simply because I read the song as a comment on how tacky it is for pharrell never shutting the fuck up about how happy he is. And there's a kanye rib in there too.

what do you guys think is the best weird al song?

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
"The Saga Begins", I mean American Pie has some random lyrics and is just pretty "what the fuck does any of this mean" but has some great melodies behind it; so to take that, and write a song about a movie that hasn't even come out yet - and then have that song be 99% accurate even after the pre-screening you were denied too? It's insane.

I'd then put Amish Paradise, Like a Surgeon, and probably Eat It after that.

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
"The Saga Begins", I mean American Pie has some random lyrics and is just pretty "what the fuck does any of this mean" but has some great melodies behind it; so to take that, and write a song about a movie that hasn't even come out yet - and then have that song be 99% accurate even after the pre-screening you were denied too? It's insane.

I'd then put Amish Paradise, Like a Surgeon, and probably Eat It after that.
Basically. Also shout out to eBay, that's a great song too.

What a weird thread. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts

He took the epic "The Day the Music Died" and made it into a story about Anakin Skywalker as a kid. The movie may have sucked, but this song was absolutely awesome. It even built like the original. Weird Al isn't just a funny guy, but an amazingly talented storyteller and lyricist, too.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
What a weird thread. :lol:
If you really think about it, it isn't weird at all. Think for a second how hard it has to be in a really good cover band; you have to be able to play something and have it be instantly recognizable to everyone who knows and loves the song. Next, replace the lyrics with something else, while still being faithful to the melody. Now go record it, which makes it way harder than just being a five piece in a bar banging out something recognizable; you need all the layers, the fills, the little things that you hear on the recording that even the actual artist/band may never play live. Then, consider how many diverse styles Weird Al covers, and realize that the man fronts the best cover band on the planet, composed of musicians who have been playing with him for decades.

What they do is hard, and they're ridiculously talented. Since it's humor, they never really get enough credit for it.

·
DOO)))M
7,435 Posts
What Dave said.

Weird Al was my first EVER concert, and as a kid I couldn't appreciate it, but as an adult I look at what they're doing and it's impressive as fuck. Multiple styles being played by studio artists who have to nail it every time while still being recognizable to say "Hey isn't that ..." I mean, Christ, do you know the amount of times I get hyped hearing the intro to the REAL Gangsta's Paradise and get disappointed it's not Amish Paradise?

And don't even get me started on Bedrock Anthem being a mash-up of RHCP's "Under the Bridge" and "Give it Away", since I hear that intro to UtB and think "aw yeah, it's gonna pick up" and then it's just a shitty RHCP song :(

·
ya boi
ESP, Kemper, Marshall
946 Posts
If you really think about it, it isn't weird at all. Think for a second how hard it has to be in a really good cover band; you have to be able to play something and have it be instantly recognizable to everyone who knows and loves the song. Next, replace the lyrics with something else, while still being faithful to the melody. Now go record it, which makes it way harder than just being a five piece in a bar banging out something recognizable; you need all the layers, the fills, the little things that you here on the recording that even the actual artist/band may never play live. Then, consider how many diverse styles Weird Al covers, and realize that the man fronts the best cover band on the planet, composed of musicians who have been playing with him for decades.

What they do is hard, and they're ridiculously talented. Since it's humor, they never really get enough credit for it.
No, I'm a huge Weird Al fan, I'm just commenting on the oddness of the question, especially now that we know it's a spambot. I've seen Weird Al live before, and it was one of the best concerts I've ever seen. The fact that he can take songs, change the lyrics, but have them actually be funny as oppose to pure nonsense, and somehow manage to pull that off over several decades is a major feat. I love the guy.

·
Good news, Everyone!
1,528 Posts
Over the last few days I actually was playing the whole weird al discography in my car, My favorite tracks of his are the polka mashups, though they're not parodies.

Of the parody tracks, I really like "All about the Pentiums," "the Saga Begins", and "Couch Potato"

And then some of his originals I'm a big fan of are "Hardware Store", "Everything You Know Is Wrong", and "Albuquerque".

And to top it off, he's a phenomenal accordion player himself, which is an instrument that I can't make heads or tails of -- There's videos on youtube of Al playing accordion live for other bands like the Barenaked Ladies.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
You guys are all responding to a spam bot. :lol:
The best damn spam bot there ever was.

I think I'm gonna have to go with white and nerdy as well. I'm not a trve Weird Al fan because I only know the hits, but white and nerdy is the first piece of music I ever purchased on my own. For the first two months after I got my first ipod, the only things on it were that song and the halo 2 soundtrack :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
All About the Pentiums is definitely the best in my opinion. The lyrics are just so awesome and everything is just handled so perfectly. That said, White and Nerdy, Amish Paradise, and Yoda are up there (for me at least).

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
All About the Pentiums is definitely the best in my opinion. The lyrics are just so awesome and everything is just handled so perfectly. That said, White and Nerdy, Amish Paradise, and Yoda are up there (for me at least).

being a computer geek basically I always thought that song was great :lol: white and nerdy is definitely packed with goodness too lol.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.