Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
The main thing that got me into music, and metal in particular, was playing GTA: Vice City and hearing the music on V-Rock.

There is in fact an H. In traditional tonality and still in use in some countries B natural is notated as H. This was handy so Bach could spell his name in chord movements. :lol: There had to be an H to do a B-A-C-H. H is absolutely a note in the history of Western Tonality.
Yeah, Central/Eastern/Northern Europe has the H, and in that system Bb is B; drives me fucking nuts. :wallbash:

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
I was in jazz band with this guy who was three years older and cool as hell. He had an awesome conversion van and was always playing Extreme, Saigon Kick and Crue. He had a Fender HM Strat and a Boss HM-2, and a rotating cast of hot girlfriends. I wanted to be just like him.
I may have failed, but I’m still loving guitar. :D

·
Registered
149 Posts
Originally, it Ritchie Blackmore. It soon expanded to Jimmy Page, then onto Gary Moore, a bunch of shrapnel artists, and onto George Lynch.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
My dad. He played guitar and sang in a bar band in the 80's (kept food on our table during the 80's recession). Almost all old classic rock and soul music. That gave me the bug and provided the opportunity (access to equipment). But, what sealed the deal...

I was 10 when this came out, about 12 when I first heard it, and was playing by 13.

·
Registered
155 Posts
As someone who grew up on a steady diet of Johnny Cash and Waylon Jennings this shit blew my mind the first time I saw it.

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
I grew up quite possibly the most non-musical household you can imagine. None of my family members were musical in the slightest. As a kid, dad's was always AM farm reports(yup, grew up on a farm) if any music was played on radio it was old school country, even back then it just wasn't my thing, though I do have a greater appreciation for it now. I think it was the summer of 76 or 77(yup, I'm old, lol!)my cousins that were a couple years older than me visited and they played Kiss, Rock and Roll Over and I was hooked. The search was on for the heavy stuff, went through Black Sabbath, AC/DC, anything heavy. I knew I wanted to play guitar, but the folks would have nothing to do with it. Dad would tell me "boys don't take music lessons, you need to learn to farm". I was having nothing to do with that, lol! Skipping my fucked up teens, I joined the Army at 18 and once I got through training and hit my 1st real assignment in El Paso, my 1st purchase was a guitar. A friend in my unit sold me his pawn ticket for $20 and I went to the pawn shop and got the Hondo and a shitty amp for $50 more. He showed me some basics and away I went. I never took it as serious as I should have, but damn it's been a fun ride!

·
Not baked anymore.
3,555 Posts
My dad played in a band with my uncle, which is how he met my mother. He was the drummer and my uncle was the guitar player. My parents separated when I was a baby and he moved out of state, when I'd go visit him, I'd often be hanging out in the living room where they had band practices or falling asleep to band practices. This was in the 80's where you couldn't exactly practice quietly. I was enamored with all of it, the volume, sound, the people it attracted. My father wasn't exactly winning father of the year awards....ever, but especially back then. I'd be willing to bet I'd seen more tits in person by the time I was 10 than 98% of American men. They were full on in the 80's rock/metal/sluts. Big part of the reason I'm as twisted as I am these days. Anywho...

I was aiming to play drums for quite a while from the ages 8-10, a lot of talk of getting me a set and whatnot. But around this same time my dad got the Pink Floyd Delicate Sound Of Thunder VHS and was playing it nonstop, I really became infatuated with Gilmour before I ever touched a guitar. I thought the Strat just looked so damn cool. I remember when I was about 9 or 10, my dad got Berlin's Count Three and Pray album and was listening to it, called me downstairs and goes "Andy, listen to this, can you tell who's playing this guitar solo?" It was clearly Gilmour and I called it. I think the sense of happiness I saw from my dad when I got it right may have been a contributing factor in me gravitating towards guitar.

Then when I was 11 he took me to see Floyd and it was all over. Hearing Gilmour's tones rip through a stadium, bring 60K people to a frenzy, the way it felt in the air, how it echoed through the stadium, everything about it just had me in a trance. That show was May 20th, 1994, I had my first guitar in my hands December 25th, 1994.

At one point, before the Floyd show I had one of those old plug in organ/keyboard things that had a fan inside that got really loud when you plugged them in, only had like one octave on them. My dad was listening to The Division Bell and during the solo of "High Hopes" I was playing along on the organ thing, hitting a lot of the notes. My dad was in a chair next to me just shitting his pants, rocking back and forth clapping because I was able to decipher pitches without and training. My dad's approval was certainly a major proponent to me becoming a musician, which is funny because about 3 years into it and around the point where I became obsessed with the guitar he became obsessed with telling me how much I'd fail as a musician in life. He's been my biggest double-edge sword in life and it took me 30 years to realize that. His constant negative feedback from the age 14 and on is a source of contention in our relationship.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Great stories. Keep 'em coming!

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
My dad and my uncle, really.

My dad was a music lover, and a hobbyist musician - ok folk guitarist, but a pretty good pianist. My uncle, his younger brother, was an ok pianist but a better guitarist, and at one point bought the first electric guitar I'd ever seen in person. My dad and uncle would play music whenever they got together, anf in particular we had a long-standing family tradition (dating back to my dad's childhood, at least) of having a christmas concert every Christmas Eve, before opening presents. It was mostly just my dad and my uncle (he didn't get married until I was a teenager so he joined us for the holidays a lot) actually playing songs, and the rest of us kids banging on pots and pans to play "drums," and eventually my uncle bought my borther and I little half-scale or 3/4 scale guitars, and we'd strum along to them, not having the faintest idea what we were doing but just having a blast.

So part of it was that I was surrounded by guitars as a kid, and music just seemed fun. Part of it was I was just surrounded by good music, too. There was music constantly on around the house, a lot of classic rock, early Stones, the White Album, Jimi, Janis, the like, plus a lot of 70s outlaw country, a lot of classical, some gospel... I remember from a very early age being transfixed by the sound of the guitars on a Chess records compilation, "Muddy and the Wolf," which had one side each of Muddy Waters with the Paul Butterfield Blues Band (pretty forgetable, aside from a killer live rendition of "Long Distance Call" to end the side), and the Howlin' Wolf London Sessions, with the Rolling Stones rhythm section and Eric Clapton on lead guitar. I think what really did it though was my dad bringing home a tape he'd randomly spotted in like the budget bin of a record store, a Jimi Hendrix greatest hits album - it was the first I'd ever even heard of the guy (I was probably not even a teenager at this point) and my dad said he'd remembered being blown away by Purple Haze when he first heard it, but didn't really know much of the guy's other music. He put it on and I was pretty floored - "Voodoo Child (slight return)" was possibly the most otherworldly guitar performance I'd ever heard up to that point, it just completely knocked me over.

But, this was Jimi - I was so into the sound of the electric guitar by that point, but it seemed completely alien to me and something that there was no way I could ever do, myself. What finally gave me the kick in the pants to try was Kurt Cobain, when one of my mountain biking buddies decided he wanted to learn how to play guitar and taught himself with tabs from the internet some of the songs frum Unplugged. At that point, suddenly, it was like, "wait a minute, Jimi Hendrix is on his own plane of existence and it's silly to think maybe I could learn to play like that, but i could play Nirvana!" and I started messing around on my dad's guitar, trying to figure out how to play some stuff on that album. A couple weeks of this and one night he popped his head into my room to see what I was listening to, and realized it was me (I hadn't told him I'd been taking out his guitar at night). He was surprised, and told me immediately play it whenever I wanted and he'd be happy to show me some stuff if I wanted too. I got more and more into it, and a couple months later after visiting my uncle and spending an hour down in his basement messing around on his electric guitar he offered to loan it to me, since he wasn't playing much at that time. Both of them were incredibly supportive of me learning - that year for Christmas my uncle gave me a copy of Stevie Ray Vaughan's "The Sky is Crying" which ignited my love of blues guitar in a huge way - and I still think one of the most musically fulfilling things I'll ever do was making that album with the two of them we wrapped up maybe a year or two ago, since the two of them are really the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My dad and my uncle, really.... I started messing around on my dad's guitar, trying to figure out how to play some stuff on that album. A couple weeks of this and one night he popped his head into my room to see what I was listening to, and realized it was me (I hadn't told him I'd been taking out his guitar at night). He was surprised, and told me immediately play it whenever I wanted and he'd be happy to show me some stuff if I wanted too. I got more and more into it, and a couple months later after visiting my uncle and spending an hour down in his basement messing around on his electric guitar he offered to loan it to me, since he wasn't playing much at that time.
Been trying to get my kid into playing guitar for a few years. He showed interest very briefly but not anymore... hoping he comes back to it on his own. Got him a cheap Jackson JS22, but I don't think he's actually touched it since the week we got it about a year or so ago... How old were you when the bug bit you?

·
ESP / Ibanez
2,579 Posts
My older Brother (RIP) got me into playing guitar back in late 89 / early 90 and I started on bass but switched to guitar in a matter of a few months. I was into Metallica and the big 4 but got into death metal shortly after.

My mother has always played guitar ever since I can remember and piano so we always had instruments in the house growing up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
In my case, it was Ritchie Blackmore. My younger brother used to watch football and during halftime, they would play live concert recordings, and that where I saw Deep Purple.

Blackmore doing his magic with guitar and ever since then I wanted a guitar and thats where it all started. At that time in Georgia-Tbilisi, there was not much rock or metal anywhere so if I saw some guy with the electric guitar I was recording didn't care who he was as long as there was an electric guitar. :)

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
I was 10 or 11 years old, and at that time (~1991/1992) in Austria almost no one hat Satelite TV, so no way you could see MTV or something like that.
One friend of my parents was working at the Austria TV and was recording Headbangers Ball and ~ on Saturday evening per month, they all met at our house and were watching Headbangers Ball.
Once I stay ed up and also watched, which brought two of my big loves into my life: Iron Maiden and playing guitar.
It was this exact videoclip:

Everything about it just blew my mind and I could not comprehend what I was just experiencing. I just knew I need it in my life.

While i was still visibly stunned from the experience, one of the friends of my stepdad asked "you also wanna play guitar lil Peter?" - "YES!!" - "Well, i got a spare one i can give you..."

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Been trying to get my kid into playing guitar for a few years. He showed interest very briefly but not anymore... hoping he comes back to it on his own. Got him a cheap Jackson JS22, but I don't think he's actually touched it since the week we got it about a year or so ago... How old were you when the bug bit you?
Well, so a lot of this banging on a guitar with no clue what I was doing was when I was really young, call it 6-8 or so. And, actually forgot a bit of this story, but I took a music class in 7th grade where we were supposed to learn guitar as a way to learn music, for a couple months, and I was hands down the worst guitarist in the class. I think it was freshman year in high school where I picked up a guitar and it started to click. So, a LONG period of time passed before I really got into it.

I honestly think it's just having the eyarly exposure and thinking guitar = fun as a kid that's important. I did the same thing with cycling, though I guess I got quite a bit more serious about mountain biking in high school, didn't stick with it in college (largely because I was playing a lot more music - I should have, my brother did, raced for out college while he was there and got into road biking and became an absolute monster rider), and then got into it again in my late 20s, when I started to realize I needed some way to stay fit or I was going to get fat, and I remembered enjoying cycling a hell of a lot more than running. :lol:

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
I honestly think it's just having the eyarly exposure and thinking guitar = fun as a kid that's important.
100% this. I had a really cheap kid-sized guitar that my uncle won at a fair or something, and when I was around 7 or 8 my mom saw me playing with it and decided to start sending me to lessons. I hated it. I went into the back room of our local music store and some clearly-bored older guy tried to teach me the strumming pattern for Mary Had a Little Lamb, then sent me home with homework. I don't think I made it a month.

Then around 13 or 14 I heard Master of Puppets for the first time and went "Holy shit, I wanna learn to do that!" worked for a summer to buy one of those shitty Squire starter kits, and started taking lessons with this guy who would occasionally do stuff like say "yeah forget this lesson, we're gonna learn some Slayer today." It stuck that time. :lol:

·
Premium Member
RGMS7
922 Posts

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
I am not exactly proud to admit this but it was probably the first time I heard Iced Earth when I was in High school. I think it was around the time Alive in Athens was released. I was blown away by Schaffer's rhythm playing. It is a shame he passed away around the same time.

·
Read Only
7,880 Posts
Dude, hard same. :lol: I used to come home from school and play along to Stormrider and Horror Show tunes until my folks got home and made me do homework instead.

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts

Yup and unfortunately i play guitar better than 99.9 percent of people on this board.

Reactions: Mailed Fist

·
Registered
9 Posts
Earliest guitar inspiration was Neal Schon with early Journey, then Edward Van Halen, follow by Crosby/DeMartini and Jake E. Lee with Ozzy, who I discovered through my older cousins even before I knew who Randy Rhoads was, although Randy became a huge influence instantly. By the time I finally convinced me mum to buy an electric guitar for me in 1989, my #1 band was Metallica in their '80s prime (Master was such an epic in my young life....). Soon after that, I discovered Maiden, Megadeth, a weird fellow named Vai and a big Swede named Yngwie. Also admired Swedes John Norum and Kee Marcello, and even MORE Swedes, LaRoque/Denner.

I definitely like the European formula of lean/mean riffs requiring some dexterity and melodic soloing, which, not suprisingly, also influenced many of my favorite American guitarists.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts