Metalguitarist.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well im between the Jackson JS Series Dinky Arch Top JS32Q DKA or the Schecter Omen Extreme 6 . im looking for a good rock / shred guitar and i want something that is built to last as this while be staying in my collection for a while. thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Eh...
Don't buy guitars with cheap Floyd Rose-imitations.
The bridges will wear out in no time, the arm will be loose and wobbly, strings will break, refuse to stay in tune and only bring frustration and regret wasting money on it.

If you really want a Floyd Rose guitar buy something with at least the FRT1000/2000/3000 (chrome/black/gold) bridge found on many Solar 1.x series, Jackson Pro series, LTD-1000 series and similarly priced Shecters. They are fine, I guess.

Floyd Rose Special isn't very good either, but at least the dimensions are correct for installing a Original Floyd Rose later down the road.

The bridges on the guitars you mentioned are only asking for issues AND the dimensions are not the same as OFR so you can't easily upgrade the bridge either.

·
Super Moderator
23,420 Posts
I never bonded with a Jackson, or a Schecter, but I've always liked Schecters more than Jacksons.

That said, buy a Jackson, so that there are always plenty of Schecters for me to tire-kick :yesway:

·
Super Moderator
23,420 Posts
wow ya im really new to guitars to be honest so any imput would be great. im coming from acoustic
Yeah, starting with a hardtail is the way to go. Trems can be fun, but they are a lot of work to maintain, and can be a pain in the ass. I've been playing for 26 years, and only one of my guitars has a trem, and it's not a floyd.

I'd say... consider an Ibanez. They typically have pretty wide fretboards, so it'll feel like your acoustic. Most of us start-out on Ibanez's, they're a good gateway guitar! Back in the day the RG321 was always a classic starter.

·
formerly known as Engineer Trav
2,581 Posts
Go to the store and play one that feels right. You don't wanna order something online that people recommended and it isn't a right fit for you.

·
Super Moderator
13,446 Posts
Yeah, starting with a hardtail is the way to go. Trems can be fun, but they are a lot of work to maintain, and can be a pain in the ass. I've been playing for 26 years, and only one of my guitars has a trem, and it's not a floyd.

I'd say... consider an Ibanez. They typically have pretty wide fretboards, so it'll feel like your acoustic. Most of us start-out on Ibanez's, they're a good gateway guitar! Back in the day the RG321 was always a classic starter.
Yeah, I've been playing guitar for about 22 years myself, and for 14-15 years of that, my main guitars had tremolo systems. I loved those guitars, but I HATED changing the strings on them. I sold them all in 2019 and since then I've bought 4 new guitars, none of which have trems. Although a ton of Ibanez's best guitars have trems on them, I just NEVER used the trem and it was just something I kind of had to deal with. But nowadays I just don't want to have to deal with the trems anymore. And since I played in a band either in practice or live at least once a week for 6+ years, I have a lot of experience with changing strings on a trem (I've always had a rule about changing the strings before a live performance, so when we played a ton of shows, I might have been changing strings twice a month on tremmed guitars), but even after all these years, I still don't like them. :lol: And I CERTAINLY would not recommend a guitar with a tremolo system to someone buying their first guitar unless you really want to do dive bombs, squeals, Steve Vai-esque trills, and other guitar techniques that absolutely require a trem.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'd second what everyone else has already said: hardtail is best to start with. I'd also stick with strat/super strat shapes until you really develop a style and preference years down the road. Personally, I like Explorers and beefy offset shapes like a Fender Jaguar, but I can't get along with V's. Others might swear by them, but they're not for me. What you like is up to you to decide, but for starting out, it's best to stick with a simple, reliable shape that will allow you to practice effectively.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,865 Posts
Definitely go play them - both the Schecter Omen and Jackson JS series have good guitars and bad guitars - build quality is all over the map with those. I went through 3 JS32-7s to get the one I kept, and 4 JS22-7s. You'd think there was hundreds of dollars of difference between the best and worst I tried, but they were the exact same models.

Twin JS32-7s, big difference in build quality.

2 different JS22-7s, one had soapbar pickups, one didn't... but same exact model (??) build quality on the soapbar one sucked - total dead plank. Then, I got another standard pickup one that blew both of these away and it became this:

I wouldn't have any issues playing this on stage - don't know that I'd tour with it unless I got the frets cleaned up a bit - but for a guitar I have less than $500 in, it's pretty sweet.

So, as a beginner, I'd say get a Jackson - you can mod it as you grow and learn what you like and don't like (change pickups, tuners, bridge, etc.) and then eventually get yourself a more pro-quality one like an X series or Pro Series.

·
Registered
58 Posts
....and even if you WANT to do divebombs, squeels etc etc

....you buy a cheapo guitar with shit bridge that will go out of tune and will become one of those "FLOYD ROSE SUCKS!!!" people on the Internet who dont understand that a real Floyd Rose works fucking phenomenally good. :lol:
Exactly!
:cassidy:

·
Super Moderator
23,420 Posts
And I CERTAINLY would not recommend a guitar with a tremolo system to someone buying their first guitar unless you really want to do dive bombs, squeals, Steve Vai-esque trills, and other guitar techniques that absolutely require a trem.
This.

When you're starting out, yeah, divebombs can be fun, but if your goal is to join/start a band, you'll do well to spend more time learning rhythm, developing your sense of time, and getting a handful of chords and scales under your fingers :yesway:

·
Banned
13,826 Posts
....and even if you WANT to do divebombs, squeels etc etc

....you buy a cheapo guitar with shit bridge that will go out of tune and will become one of those "FLOYD ROSE SUCKS!!!" people on the Internet who dont understand that a real Floyd Rose works fucking phenomenally good. :lol:
So. Much. This.

... And I don't see what's the problem of learning on a guitar with a Floyd. If you do this correctly (a lot of people don't), there's really nothing to it. :shrug:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
as far as ibanez im kinda fond of the Ibanez RGA42FM . thanks for all your input. ill be shopping around instore soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm so many things to consider.......... haha i kinda wanna buy something haveway decent and be done with it .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts