Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone relate to being confused by the mysteriousness of music. like what is music. how did people from earlier times discover and learn music. dont the minds of great composers wonder you.
im slowly learning guitar i have been playing for about 8 years now, it seems the more i learn the more i realize there is to know. does anyone else feel like this

·
Devil
1,871 Posts
Pythagoras I believe discovered that an octave had a ratio of 2:1 (golden ratio at that). The rest of the major scale followed with other fractions.

Music is simply organized noise. It began as something to be entertaining and pleasant. Later there were rules of harmony and dissonance. These rules evolved over time. Now we're in the modern era where success is being the lowest common denominator and real substance will generally force a musician into obscurity. Woot.

As far as the minds of the greats go, I feel once you've studied and had some experience with orchestration, you don't really need to know what goes on in their heads. Personality manifests in the style of composition as well as the music itself.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yup I feel you on the more you learn the less you know thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the responses, i was about to go to the musical psychologist. but yeah its like each thing learn unlocks more secrets of how stuff works. hence i guess why music is just a theory

·
Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Music is music. What sets music apart from just noise? Order. Music is sound that is organized in a pleasantly sounding way (yes, even if that "pleasantly sounding way" is pure discordance and chaos. Different people find different things pleasant).

I think that's all you can say that really applies to all music.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
That was definitely worded confusingly :lol:, what he means is that if X is the frequency of a note represented by hertz X an octave up is the amount of hertz x 2.

Don't know if Pythagoras discovered it though, it might be that people thousands of years later discovered that the golden ratio also applies to it though.

Edit: Yes, I realize most of you guys already know this :lol:, and that Stitch's :spock: was a reference to the Pythagoras part.

·
Premium Member
8,927 Posts
what is music. how did people from earlier times discover and learn music.
Can't find a link now, but I'm sure I read that some scholars believe music, as a form of human communication, greatly predates speech. Something in the animal part of our brains instinctively recognizes rhythmic and harmonic relationships. In other words, we never really "discovered" it as such. It probably evolved from the types of non-speech communications our distant primate ancestors engaged in.

Obviously, the conscious recognition of music as a distinct activity is much more recent, though still prehistoric.

·
Bro of Bros, Bro.
15,373 Posts
I used to live in the West End. All of the people I still keep in contact with up there pretty much live over in Southside around Courthouse. I used to be up at Richmond Music Center off Midlothian quite a bit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.