Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2.1; en-us; Nexus One Build/FRG83) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

So I realize this is TOTALLY an apples to oranges comparison :lol: but I noticed while comparing peripherals and printers the software and drivers require MUCH less ram and hard disk space as well as processing power for a mac compared to a windows pc. This leads me to believe OSX runs much more efficiently. Out of curiosity for you guys out there, what Mac specs out there would yield comparable response and performance to my laptop? I have a toshiba with a 720qm i7, 500gb 5400 rpm hard drive, 4gb ddr3 memory, windows 7 home premium, I can provide further specs on request. :)

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
The new Core i5 MBP's we're getting in are consistently faster than the Thinkpad W510's with that same chip. Boot faster, perform a lot better under load. YMMV. Are you looking for a desktop or laptop?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd be looking at a laptop specifically down the road, I can't afford it but if it makes sense I'm all for it. I don't use any PC specific apps that I would need to keep Windows for, and besides if I do there's always bootcamp.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
+1 on the Mac Mini. It's the cheapest way to own a Mac, and it's not underpowered in the least. Unless you need a ton of power for gaming, it's a perfect box for just about anything.

Whenever I build my new desk, and get a couple monitors, my 2010 Mac Mini is going to be my main computer. I am replacing a 2006 iMac that has lasted me this long, and honestly is still a powerful computer. Expect getting a lot of "mileage" out of the Mini.

Currently my Mini is serving as a TV attached media center until the LG Plex BluRay players come out.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
Also Matt, are the increased disk space and memory requirements of the Windows drivers due to the bullshit programs that companies package with these drivers? It shouldn't require much power to simply load a driver and communicate with a printer.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's very possible. I just didn't know if a Mac with 2GB of RAM would run the same as a Windows PC with 4GB, you know stuff along those lines. That type of thing, trying to figure out if it's more efficient overall, that type of stuff.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
That's very possible. I just didn't know if a Mac with 2GB of RAM would run the same as a Windows PC with 4GB, you know stuff along those lines. That type of thing, trying to figure out if it's more efficient overall, that type of stuff.
In my experience Snow Leopard does perform a bit better than Windows 7, but keep in mind that I have a slight bias because I am a Mac user. My girlfriend uses Windows 7 and she loves it, but she is definitely not a "power user".

The iMac that I am using now has 2GB of RAM, and I do not have any problems unless I am running a VM with a lot of other apps open. I've done light gaming on it as well, and it has run acceptably.

Research the driver thing, and then really consider the pros and cons of switching.

·
Madcap Funster
28 Posts
These days I can`t see a Mac competing with a decent PC on power, Apple always seem to be more style over substance, true in ye olden days a mac with Pro Tools was prob the way to go as it was way more stable than a mish mash PC rig, but it was very expensive and those days are most probably gone now.

Just make sure you build a rig that`s just for the music and apart from perhaps a service pack update never connect it to the internet, an overclocked core 2 duo rig ( chuck out the shite stock cooler and buy a £25 Artic freezer pro cooler or something ), windows XP pro and 3 or 4 gig of DDR3 ram and an inexpensive M-Audio card ought to wipe the floor with a mac and be cheaper. Make certain applications `large address aware` with a program called LaaTiDo and enable the extended Ram switch too and turn off the power saving features in the Bios and you should be away. If you want portability build a mini sized rig.

Also if you build a rig just for music and nothing else you will also notice that windows XP pro will only use about 250MB Ram when idle instead of about 500MB !

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
The new Core i5 MBP's we're getting in are consistently faster than the Thinkpad W510's with that same chip. Boot faster, perform a lot better under load. YMMV. Are you looking for a desktop or laptop?
Are the hdd's the same as well? Ram speeds/capacities the same? Lots of variables can affect boot time. I'd put my C2D Windows 7 machines boot time up against just about anything :lol:

And no, I wouldn't say OSX is more efficient than Windows 7, my Windows 7 laptop with Intel graphics never lags, yet my friends 13" MB with similar specs to my laptop has... issues. Granted, I have an SSD, but I'm talking overall fluidity of the OS, his 13" MB has a tendency to get choppy from time to time, never see that on this laptop.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Also, one more thing... Actually spend some time on a Mac before you just decide to buy one, you may find it's not for you. That's certainly the case for me, the interface just sucks compared to what I've been accustomed to my entire life, and I personally find it unintuitive, but that's just me, others think Windows is backwards, so yeah.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I like the Mac interface, it's the main reason I like mine so much. Multitouch gestures, Spaces, and Expose make for incredibly smooth multitasking and workflow.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I like the Mac interface, it's the main reason I like mine so much. Multitouch gestures, Spaces, and Expose make for incredibly smooth multitasking and workflow.
I hate the multitouch crap :lol: I've put some time into learning them, and they just don't make much sense to me. I don't always bring my laptop to my friends place, so I find myself using his 13" MB a lot :rofl: Drives me insane.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Just make sure you build a rig that`s just for the music and apart from perhaps a service pack update never connect it to the internet, an overclocked core 2 duo rig ( chuck out the shite stock cooler and buy a £25 Artic freezer pro cooler or something ), windows XP pro and 3 or 4 gig of DDR3 ram and an inexpensive M-Audio card ought to wipe the floor with a mac and be cheaper. Make certain applications `large address aware` with a program called LaaTiDo and enable the extended Ram switch too and turn off the power saving features in the Bios and you should be away. If you want portability build a mini sized rig.

Also if you build a rig just for music and nothing else you will also notice that windows XP pro will only use about 250MB Ram when idle instead of about 500MB !
^ This guy has absolutely no idea what he's talking about.

Please, if you're going to dispense advice, at least have some sort of clue.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
So then I have some sort of clue? :wub:
Yes. :lol:

I love the whole "wipe the floor with" comment. It's utter nonsense. I've had 8 tracks recording at once, with monitoring, and 20+ playing back on my freakin' MAC MINI with no problems at all. No driver issues, no latency issues, no dropouts, nothing. Good luck getting that out of "XP, 4GB DDR3 and a cheap M-Audio Card". :rolleyes:

The Windows fanbois that chime in and basically just make shit up because they don't like OSX drive me crazy. I used to be a big Windows guy, but I never completely talked out of my ass to try and shit-talk the apple platform.

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Yes. :lol:

I love the whole "wipe the floor with" comment. It's utter nonsense. I've had 8 tracks recording at once, with monitoring, and 20+ playing back on my freakin' MAC MINI with no problems at all. No driver issues, no latency issues, no dropouts, nothing. Good luck getting that out of "XP, 4GB DDR3 and a cheap M-Audio Card". :rolleyes:

The Windows fanbois that chime in and basically just make shit up because they don't like OSX drive me crazy. I used to be a big Windows guy, but I never completely talked out of my ass to try and shit-talk the apple platform.
I dunno, I've done some pretty crazy multitracking back in the day with an M-Audio Audiophile 24/96, would play with up to 32 tracks(not to say it sounded good, because fuck knows it didn't :rofl: ), my Opteron 170 rig with 4gb of PC3200 did just fine. It wouldn't "wipe the floor" with anything though, add some plugins to those tracks and I could easily bring it down :rofl:

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Hey, it's like the Gibson players who knocked us for playing seven strings. There are idiots in every walk of life. :lol:

I love my mac, but I was a PC guy until '06 and was brought up around them. :shrug: About to go back to the dark side unfortunately (no decent CFD software for Mac, which I need for my course. :()

1 - 20 of 135 Posts