Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Google search is bringing up all sorts of lists but it's always the same 5. Is that really all there is? I'm talking in the 5-15watt range.

Not interested in creating a metal rig. Already got a full-fat one of those. I want a rock rig at best. This is in continuation of my accumulation of function band gear. I've already got a Zilla upright 2x12. My Marshall 4x12 and Rectifier might get me laughed out of the room, so I'd prefer a more conservative rig for this sort of thing :lol:

The only ones that come up in search are like the mini rectifier, 6505MH, 5153 etc... Not really what I'm after, are generally too expensive, and over the top for my needs.

There's the Blackstar HT5, which is along the right lines but every Blackstar I've ever played through has left me a bit cold. Orange Tiny Terror is another option, but does anybody know of anything I'm missing?

Versatility isn't a big deal, I've got all manner of pedals for different levels of crunch/gain. I like the idea of essentially having a bog standard one channel mini head, which you can voice differently with stuff out front. It's just for small gigs.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Orange OR15H, Jet City JCA20H, Mini Recto, Mini Mark, Egnater Tweaker

·
Parental Advisory
288 Posts
Push it up to the 20w-ish range and you've got the Friedman Runt 20 and the JCA Custom 22. Both roughly similar in style, but obviously on different ends of the price scale. The Custom 22 seems to have different voicing compared to the JCA20H.

And keep in mind that Blackstar cheap out with the valves that come stock with the amps - literally anything else to replace the stock TAD valves is a massive difference in sound quality. If you get the opportunity to try a HT series with some other valves, it's definitely worth taking it.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
I'll always throw out a +1 for the jet city stuff.

What about something like the Laney L5 or the Fender Super-Sonic 22?

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
THD makes some interesting mini heads. They can get pricey but in the 'stripped down' category you're looking for, the UniValve is kinda intriguing. You can use any type of tube in it (EL34, 6L6, KT88, 6550, etc.) and it'll self bias to match it.

EDIT: Also has a built in Hot Plate

THD Electronics

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
As Josh says, OR15H, Mini Rec, Mark V:25. I'd also recommend the Runt 20, PT-20, and the EVH5150 LBXII.

·
Safe Spaces Advocate
3,125 Posts
I'll start off, as people do, and recommend what I currently own: Mesa/Boogie Lone Star Special. Clean channel is one of the best, drive channel will get you just about any kind of heavy blues/rock sound you want. Very versatile. 30W - 15W - 5W by toggle.

Also, the Fender Super Sonic 22 head looks interesting. Includes an effects loop.

Oh, and Panama is having a blow-out sale on the amps in colors they're discontinuing. That ends in about 7 hours.

A lot of the other stuff in this category has been mentioned.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, lots to look in to.

Btw don't pay too much heed to my wattage parameter. It was arbitrary and basically a guess. If it's over 15, 20, 25, whatever, that's fine, so long as it's not huge in size and will sit nicely on top of my Zilla. And so long as it's all valve! The lower wattage solid states will never get over the volume of a drumkit in a million years, at least not anything below 20w.

Peavey has that inexpensive one as well, the 6505 Piranha.

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/658/118865
That thing blows, did you not see my demo of it? It's a fun/novelty item, there's no way in hell you could gig with that without going through FOH. It's not loud enough to get over a drumkit unless your drummer's a tub-tickling little bitch.

Half-decent tone though :lol: But again, not looking for metal...

·
Could be Hitler
7,666 Posts
The Fender Supersonic is always the best choice hands down, especially for versatility... can't be beat IMHO. They aren't cheap though.

I have had my SS for ever and every time I think I'm bored with it, I come back wondering why I ever left.:yesway:

This amp is one piece of gear I will NEVER sell.

Edit: after looking at recent prices this amp is a steal.....I'd go for it. I have the 60w Head, so I can't speak for the 22 watters, but if they are anything like the 60 they are a beast.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
I've liked my Laney IRT-Studio. It has 1 W and 15 w inputs, so it can go from quiet to pretty loud. Although I guess it might be a bit more complex than what you're looking for.

·
Señor Member
12,297 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts