Metal Guitarist Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
:lol: This is probably true.
Super bummed I missed them when they played here a few years ago. Found out the day of the show but being old and lazy I couldn't bring myself to go up to Seattle and hang out in a smelly club in a crappy part of town. I probably should have gone, though.
I did that for the last Avatar show. :\ I really didn't like the venue they were at (enough to not go) and I'm also old and lazy. Then I had like 5 friends at the show texting me awesome videos. :( Being old is stupid.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I'll also note that in Japanese, "front" is the neck pickup and "rear" is the bridge pickup. I think I've seen a few UK people use the same kind of phrasing before, but I don't think I've ever seen "front" and "rear" used in American English (so maybe Japanese got that phrasing from the Brits? :scratch:).
Possible. I'll sometimes say "front" for neck and "back" for bridge. I don't think I've seen "rear" used. I quite like the jazzers' version of "bass" and "treble" pickups, certainly more than the (Gibson-driven?) "rhythm" and "lead" nomenclature, which is totally backwards for your average metalhead.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
Possible. I'll sometimes say "front" for neck and "back" for bridge. I don't think I've seen "rear" used. I quite like the jazzers' version of "bass" and "treble" pickups, certainly more than the (Gibson-driven?) "rhythm" and "lead" nomenclature, which is totally backwards for your average metalhead.
I remember when I got my Epiphone Les Paul when I was 17 and how it was labeled "Rhythm" for the neck and "Lead" for the bridge, and I thought "Oh, that's how you're supposed to use them?" Of course, I would soon learn that in rock and metal, it's the opposite of that with the bridge being "Rhythm" and the neck being "Lead." :lol:

Even after almost 20 years of talking about guitars in Japanese, I still always have trouble with "front" and "rear" since it seems to me like the bridge would be the front (since it's closer to your picking hand) and the neck would be the rear/back (since it's farther away from your picking hand), but it's the opposite.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's good that you clarified because I wasn't sure either. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
These things do sound really good, btw. Not sure if they're easily available but I'd definitely buy a set of them in the future. They remind me of Evos. Really well balanced.

·
Super Moderator
13,448 Posts
These things do sound really good, btw. Not sure if they're easily available but I'd definitely buy a set of them in the future. They remind me of Evos. Really well balanced.
I don't think I've ever seen Killer Guitars in the US, but they're all insanely expensive guitars (though they can be found for relatively reasonable prices used). Out of interest, I just did a search online and the first Killer Guitars that popped up were $7000, $8000, and $9000 (and used guitars that were around $800 and $900). If you're unaware, Killer Guitars is the guitar company that Akira Takasaki of Loudness started a while back. I personally don't like how they look (they kind of remind me of BC Rich in their tackiness), but they do sound and play great, so you got the benefit of the Killer Guitars pickup without the over-the-top tacky looks.

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen Killer Guitars in the US, but they're all insanely expensive guitars (though they can be found for relatively reasonable prices used). Out of interest, I just did a search online and the first Killer Guitars that popped up were $7000, $8000, and $9000 (and used guitars that were around $800 and $900). If you're unaware, Killer Guitars is the guitar company that Akira Takasaki of Loudness started a while back. I personally don't like how they look (they kind of remind me of BC Rich in their tackiness), but they do sound and play great, so you got the benefit of the Killer Guitars pickup without the over-the-top tacky looks.
I bought mine direct from Japan used for really good prices. One is an old lower level model and the other is a mid level newer one. Amazing build quality as it should be being they are built by ESP. The super expensive ones are the "Prime" versions. I'd love to snag one someday. I have a friend over their keeping an eye out for a used Killer Prime 7.

·
Guitarded
Rig: Marshall DSL20
429 Posts
Even after almost 20 years of talking about guitars in Japanese, I still always have trouble with "front" and "rear" since it seems to me like the bridge would be the front (since it's closer to your picking hand) and the neck would be the rear/back (since it's farther away from your picking hand), but it's the opposite.
maybe the thinking is where your hand its pointed? your neck pickup is where your fingers are pointed while playing and the bridge pickup is behind your hand kind of.

First this thread made me want to check out the pickups. Now I just checked out LOUDNESS and God damn! How did I miss these guys? :metal: this Lightning Strikes album from '86 fuckin rules! that guitar tone is righteous!

they're here on the soundhouse website

·
Premium Member
8,188 Posts
maybe the thinking is where your hand its pointed? your neck pickup is where your fingers are pointed while playing and the bridge pickup is behind your hand kind of.

First this thread made me want to check out the pickups. Now I just checked out LOUDNESS and God damn! How did I miss these guys? :metal: this Lightning Strikes album from '86 fuckin rules! that guitar tone is righteous!
Well here is the next hour of your life:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts