Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All three of my guitars currently have actives, and have been that way for the last 3-4 years so I'd like to try something different with my fusion. I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for other than I want the pickups to be passive. My playing is fairly heavily influenced by melo-death and mid-00's metalcore (like KSE :lol:) through a POD HD500x. What's everyone using for metal now? I have no idea where to start with the pasive pickup market.

Guitar in question:

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Duncan Distortion :D

Although im very tempted to buy a Black Winter Set just to try them out. They seem like the DD but a bit more open on the Highs and a tiny bit more agressive... or at least is what I can sense from YT videos.

·
Premium Member
3,714 Posts
Black winters are very aggressive and sound great in drop C ;)
Im very tempeted especially after finding this video yesterday:

There was supposed to be DI files to download but the link is broken, asked if he could reup them but still no reply.

Seems they also come in White but cant find them anywhere was it only a special limted time edition?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
Nazgul and Sentient sets are popular and I would recommend them. I reckon the Nazgul and Black Winter are just more extreme variations of the distortion though.

Now is the time to buy BKPs if you are interested as well seeing the £ is worth fuck all. Aftermath/Nailbomb/Painkiller/Black Dogs and loads more are worth a look.

·
Registered
927 Posts
That was like so 10 years ago.
yea the kids are using Fishman pickups now.

With everything that has been said, considering your tastes; I would stick with what you have if the tone you are looking for are from the bands you listed. If you want a more drastic change in tone, maybe look into diff amps, cabs, overdrives, etc...

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
I may be biased, but all the cool kids I know are using my pickups.

There's not many cool kids though :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bare Knuckle is still the name that gets thrown around the most now. Fishman is popular, but not like BKP.

I just got a set of BKP Warpig 7's that I'm going to install in my UV777P BK, gonna see if the hype train is worth a ride. With post up some clips comparing them to the original Blazes soon.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
I'm honestly not sure - Bareknuckles are, like, SO 2014, but I still see them a lot. Other than that, whatever the newest Duncan or Dimarzio gets a lot of questions recommendations.

What have you used and liked in the past?

·
Resident Winger Overlord
4,287 Posts
As a longtime Emg guy I've settled on a Duncan custom as my main go to. Just a monster of a sledgehammer

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
The cool kids are using whatever they've been sent for free and told to shill for.

Just look for whatever has the most youtube videos in the past month.

Bonus points if it's a "signature model" for someone you've never heard of.

·
CA Manager / RHLC
1,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That was like so 10 years ago.
That's still what Bulb uses though, right? :shrug:

I'm honestly not sure - Bareknuckles are, like, SO 2014, but I still see them a lot. Other than that, whatever the newest Duncan or Dimarzio gets a lot of questions recommendations.

What have you used and liked in the past?
I really liked the Blazes in my old RG7420, always liked the JB/Jazz combo that was seemed to come in all the passive Schecters a while back. To be honest I've never really played with pickups that much. Just used whatever came with the guitar when I bought it. Nothing is really wrong with my EMGs, I'm just itching to try passives again right now.

Nazgul and Sentient sets are popular and I would recommend them. I reckon the Nazgul and Black Winter are just more extreme variations of the distortion though.

Now is the time to buy BKPs if you are interested as well seeing the £ is worth fuck all. Aftermath/Nailbomb/Painkiller/Black Dogs and loads more are worth a look.
I've been eyeing the Pegasus/Nazgul and Sentient sets.

I may be biased, but all the cool kids I know are using my pickups.

There's not many cool kids though :lol:
Got any clips or links I could check out? :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
That's still what Bulb uses though, right? :shrug:

I really liked the Blazes in my old RG7420, always liked the JB/Jazz combo that was seemed to come in all the passive Schecters a while back. To be honest I've never really played with pickups that much. Just used whatever came with the guitar when I bought it. Nothing is really wrong with my EMGs, I'm just itching to try passives again right now.

Got any clips or links I could check out? :lol:
I've actually got a guy working on a comparison video as we speak. I'll probably start a thread for it when he finishes. Should be pretty soon.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts

Blazes are awesome. They won't help you much in a six string though. :lol: Also, is that mahhogany?

I actually preferred the Sentient to the Jazz, but didn't really love the Pegasus - it was kinda... Idunno, I like bridge pickups with a bit of harmonic haze to them, and the Pegasus has a neck pickup like articulation. That said, if that is indeed a mahogany bodied guitar, a Sentient neck and a Custom or Distortion in the bridge would probably do pretty well for what you're looking to play.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Aldrich :squint:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts