Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I like Petrucci's tone on the latest, self-titled Dream Theater album, and I read that he used the Illuminator PUs on it.
I think I like his tone on 'Dramatic Turn Of Events' even a bit better, so I was wondering what PUs did he use on that?
AFAIK the Illuminators were not out the yet, or maybe he already had a prototype?
Otherwise I would assume he used the LF/CL combo on the album, but I don't know.
I was looking for interviews where he talked about the album, but could not find any info on which PUs were used on it.

If any of you know an interview where this is talked about, I'd appreciate a link!

Thanks,
Lars

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just remember using his pickups, guitar, or amp won't make you sound like Petrucci.
no shit... :cool: LOL

I was not asking 'what do I have to do in order to sound like Petrucci', I was only asking 'what PUs did he use on that album'. Out of curiosity, since I personally like his tone on that album a bit better than on the latest.

I am fully aware of the fact that to sound like him I will have to also use the same hair shampoo he uses!

4,429 Posts
Well that album is a monster in terms of production, as opposed to the last one which was pretty awful.

Tone zone/air norton combo is the best pickups Petrucci ever used. The slightly modified ones in the original EBMM sig were pretty awesome as well. All his aftermarket signature pickups I have not been a fan of.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well that album is a monster in terms of production, as opposed to the last one which was pretty awful.

Tone zone/air norton combo is the best pickups Petrucci ever used. The slightly modified ones in the original EBMM sig were pretty awesome as well. All his aftermarket signature pickups I have not been a fan of.
Thanks!

I like the sound of the album, too! But I don't dislike the sound of the latest album either to be honest.

I did not even know Petrucci used to use a ToneZone.
About two weeks ago I actually installed the AN/TZ combo in a Sterling JP70 7-string, but I don't like them as much as I do like the CL/LF combo.

Do you happen to have an idea what PUs he was using on the Live At Budokhan DVD?
I was watching it the other day and noticed his brige PU did not have the solid bar, so I was wondering what PU that might have been. Could that have been the TZ/AN then?

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I don't recall JP ever using a Tone Zone only Steve's Special/Air Norton, Crunch Lab/Liquifire, Illuminators.

·
i am the owl
2,700 Posts
Wirelessly posted

Daniel said:
I don't recall JP ever using a Tone Zone only Steve's Special/Air Norton, Crunch Lab/Liquifire, Illuminators.
I think he used the tone zone for a short time before the Steve's special.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Did he not use a D-Sonic at some point as well?

·
Premium Member
7,708 Posts
The crunchlab is such a flat-tone pickup. It sounded good when I got it, then over only about a week's time I got really bored with it. Eventually replaced it.

·
Sir Groove-A-Lot
Charvel So Cal & San Dimas
6,916 Posts
Don't forget the D-Sonic! That was his first Dimarzio signature pickup, and one of my favourite passives!

·
I Heart Guitar
80 Posts
Just chiming in here with a quote from my interview with Petrucci at the time of A Dramatic Turn Of Events.

What did you use guitar-wise this time around? I've always wondered if you have a particular main guitar that you use more than the others, or if you spread the love out across a range of different ones.

Well on this record I did use one guitar, my JPXI model, which is the latest in the series of my Ernie Ball Music Man signature models. And that guitar is the entire album. I used the six string and the seven-string, and that was it. There are some acoustic moments where I used a Taylor acoustic, but it's the Music Man JPXI on the whole record. And it's also the same amp on the whole record, a Mesa Boogie Mark V. All the cleans, all the leads, all the rhythms, it's the one amp. I am a person who has a lot of gear - I'm a gear geek and I love it - but my setup in the studio was really simple: my guitar, a cable, my amp and a cabinet.

INTERVIEW: Dream Theater's John Petrucci | I Heart Guitar

1 - 18 of 18 Posts