Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried lower the action a bit today, and suddenly the G/B/E strings just fucking stops when I do harmonics. :mad:

And YES I DID RAISE THE ACTION AGAIN! So dont ask if I reset my setup. I did!
And the problem was STILL there. I raised it more than before, so it's unplayable at this action, but the problem still exists. :pissed:

The thick strings are OK :scratch:

I have replaced into new strings too, and still problem remains!

Why!? I can't believe this stupitidy!!!

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Maybe a sustain issue? Did anything weird happen to your nut/bridge?

·
I don't like it.
11,071 Posts
Did you raise your pickups when you raised your action?

Have you checked the saddles? First thought is it's either a pickups too low issue or it's squelching out at the saddles.

·
Premium Member
7,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm also thinking truss rod needs adjusting thanks to the season change.
That was taken care of a couple of weeks before this started to happen.

Maybe a sustain issue? Did anything weird happen to your nut/bridge?
No, listen to the video. I play some notes without harmonics, and those notes rings out just fine. But with harmonic, the note dies instantly.

Did you raise your pickups when you raised your action?

Have you checked the saddles? First thought is it's either a pickups too low issue or it's squelching out at the saddles.
I raised the pickups to stay close to strings

Hmmm, as you can hear on the video there's no issues with regular notes. The notes sings like they should. But the harmonics just DIES.

I'm gonna laugh when Rollas comes back and says "I didn't have my boost on!"
I dont have a boost whatsoever

Needs a 1mm adjustment and you're good.
What? 1mm higher would make the guitar unplayable.

·
Banned
835 Posts
I suspect user error.

Imagine your guitar had 48 frets, and try to touch the string with your thumb exactly 24 frets above the note you're fretting.

·
Banned
835 Posts
Watch teh videeeo
Do it more precisely, man. First imagine your guitar has 48 frets. Then, for example, if you're fretting on the 5th fret, pinch where the 29th fret would be.

When you're doing pinch harmonics, you STILL need to hit the harmonic nodes. Less so on the low strings, but much more on the high strings. It seems like you learned to do it unconsciously, but you forgot. If you don't trust me, have someone else play the guitar.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Do it more precisely, man. First imagine your guitar has 48 frets. Then, for example, if you're fretting on the 5th fret, pinch where the 29th fret would be.

When you're doing pinch harmonics, you STILL need to hit the harmonic nodes. Less so on the low strings, but much more on the high strings. It seems like you learned to do it unconsciously, but you forgot. If you don't trust me, have someone else play the guitar.
I guess I'm just lucky, because I don't pay any attention to where I'm picking, and I get pinched harmonics all day long. Twice on Tuesdays.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts