Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is DKFH. All of these route to the "Drums" bus before going to the master.

None of the tracks are clipping, but the bus is. :scratch:

Edit: It was "Tom 3" clipping it, but my question still stands. The actual "TOM3" track peaks at -6, so it's bus isn't clipping. It's not boosted when it's sent to the drum bus, so why is a track with a peak of -6 clipping around +2 on the bus it's sent to?

·
should really be working.
366 Posts
Are you using parallel compression here, or is the tom going straight to the drum channel, like a sub-mix kind of thing? I'd say check the effects if there are any. If the tom has an EQ on it that's boosting frequencies or a compressor using too much make-up gain, the signal will be louder. Then check the send amount for that tom. If you solo the tom and the drum sub-mix they should both peak the same.

Edit: Bypass all the effects, solo the tom ch and the sub mix. Then see what's going on.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
It's the sum of all the tracks that's making it clip.... That's a master bus, which is track 1 + track 2 + ... so just because the component tracks aren't clipping, that doesn't mean a bus or master that has the sum of them won't.

I can't tell if the bus is clipping on input or output. If you just turn the bus down, and the clipping goes away it's on the output. If that doesn't do it, you'll need to turn down all of your individual drum tracks so that the bus input isn't clipping.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, if I turn the bus down the clipping goes away. So summing several not-clipping tracks can make the bus clip?

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you using parallel compression here, or is the tom going straight to the drum channel, like a sub-mix kind of thing? I'd say check the effects if there are any. If the tom has an EQ on it that's boosting frequencies or a compressor using too much make-up gain, the signal will be louder. Then check the send amount for that tom. If you solo the tom and the drum sub-mix they should both peak the same.

Edit: Bypass all the effects, solo the tom ch and the sub mix. Then see what's going on.
I do PC the drums, but I send them to the master that way, not back to the drum bus.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Yeah, if I turn the bus down the clipping goes away. So summing several not-clipping tracks can make the bus clip?
Can and will!

Think of it this way... your tracks are all cups of water, that are partially full. The bus is a bucket, into which you are pouring your cups of water. Even if none of your cups are overflowing, you can still overflow the bucket.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your image is hotlink-blocked but I don't think I want to know what it is anyway. :lol:

Thanks dude. :yesway:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts