Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Richard Simmons
33 Posts
+1 for ObZen. Even though it may not be everyone's piece of pie, i thought the tone fit the music perfectly.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Annihilator's Criteria for a Black Widow, or Divine Heresy's disc. while they can still be indentified as a pod, neither of them have the exact same tone that everyone and their cousin copy when they tune down to Drop Q.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Re:Nothing has that insanely punchy and super-powerfull and clear tone, catch 33 has some more spongyness and realism and stuff, and obzen has more clarity and more high mids...

anyways, meshuggah´s later recordings with the vettas :p

Bulb´s latest pod-recordings before he changed to axe-fx were incredible as fuck too

i never like divine heresy´s tone. there´s something strange and icky about it that annoys me :p

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i remember reading that the divine heresy album was recorded with an old marshall valvestate head. somebody please correct me if i'm wrong.

The vetta's preamp relies on pretty much the same technology as the XT, but with parallel processing options and additional funcitonalities. The amp models are the same anyway.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I think Misha works some serious magic with the bean.
Meshuggah did a pretty good job with a PODpro too.

;)
i never liked the original Nothing´s tone, but that´s a pic i haven´t seen before. those nevborns look pretty feisty, too bad they don´t do the job well enough :p

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
Drew may chime in to correct me, but I think Deadwing was a PODxt but through tube power amps and then miked. Not exactly the traditional way to use them in studio.
I read something to that effect.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
Drew may chime in to correct me, but I think Deadwing was a PODxt but through tube power amps and then miked. Not exactly the traditional way to use them in studio.
You're pretty much correct. I don't know if it was run through a tube power amp or a solid state power amp, but the studio footage has Steven Wilson tweaking a red bean sitting on top of a Marshall 4x12, and the liner notes proudly state that the album was recorded with Line6 amp modeling.

I think it was mostly a principle thing for Wilson, he's talked disparagingly about how negative many guitarists are to digital gear in the past, and he's switched back to Bad Cats - I think he just wanted to do a Line6 album just to prove it could be done. :lol:

[action=Drew]thinks In Absentia still had the best Wilson tone.[/action]

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts