Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my Gretsch Double Jet last month, and it's great, but the strings are catching in the nut a bit. The one good tech in my town moved away, so I took it to one of the recommended techs in the closest larger town an hour away, and he didn't really fix the issue (don't worry Justin, it wasn't your guy :lol:). Rather than gamble another $100 with another tech just to hope the guy knows how to properly cut a Gibson-style nut, I figured it's time I learned how to do this stuff myself.

Can anyone recommend a good starting point for learning on how to do my own work (not just nuts, but tech work in general)? I've spent a pretty good amount of time on Google and YouTube, and the best I can find are more generic videos with recommendations like "File the nut properly or take it to a tech who knows how to do it".

If anyone wants to get more specific to my situation, the nut slots were cut straight like a Strat nut, but it's a 3x3 headstock. My main question is, can I widen the back end of the slot just on one side by filing out the B-string side of the G-string slot, so it angles more towards the tuner? Or will that open it up too much and cause buzz?

I can replace the nut if need be, but this one should be a Graph Tech and is lacquered over on the sides, so I'd rather leave it if possible.

Edit: More detail: I tune the guitar, bend down on the Bigsby, and the G and B strings come back sharp. I bend the strings, and then fall back to proper pitch.

The G slot seems to have a little side-to-side room, and I opened up the back of the nut slot a bit so it doesn't *look* like it has any sharp bends (whatever that's worth).

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Offhand, StewMac (Stewart McDonald) and PRS have some really nice youtube videos on this stuff.

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Just found this searching "StewMac nut", along with like 5 others that look good!

·
Imp Slap
2,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Essentially buy fucked up guitars and fix whatever is wrong with them :lol: Just Youtube, forums, Google, etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts