Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RAM is pretty cheap these days, I've got 8, and sometimes Reaper is sluggish because I run lots of instances of plugins. Like, an unreasonable number of instances of plugins. But this is America, my right to do that is protected.

Anyways, is going from 8 to 16 going to make a difference here? Or is CPU the bottleneck? I've got an Intel Core i3 4170 3.7GHz.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Going from 8 to 16 should help a ton, as will an SSD if you don't already have one (disc I/O can never be too fast).

My iMac is a 2009 i5 with 16Gb and I can run Reaper with enough plugins and VSTs to make EngineerTrav jealous and it still smokes right along. :yesway:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Going from 8 to 16 should help a ton, as will an SSD if you don't already have one (disc I/O can never be too fast).

My iMac is a 2009 i5 with 16Gb and I can run Reaper with enough plugins and VSTs to make EngineerTrav jealous and it still smokes right along. :yesway:
Yeah, I got the SSD after suffering through Fallout 4s load times on a traditional hard drive for a week. :lol:

·
Read Only
2,581 Posts
16gb is a big difference. Im on a mac not a pc but I have a remix that pushes 130 tracks. Its like 15 vocal tracks and the rest are VSTs, drum samples and fx samples. The session used 60% of my cpu. I went from 4gb duo core to 16gb quad core

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
I think you'll see a little bump but 8 is still not too shabby for recording. CPU's that can do more multi-threading are the best for heavy recording loads. VST's and such. So the real bottle neck is probably going to be your CPU

·
Read Only
1,264 Posts
sometimes Reaper is sluggish because I run lots of instances of plugins. Like, an unreasonable number of instances of plugins. But this is America, my right to do that is protected.
New Executive order coming soon.....

But back on topic, what does "an unreasonable number" of plugins look like?

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
yeah I use 8GB Ram and have never had anything that even felt like it was slower than instant performance. I have a quad core i7 though

·
Premium Member
2,996 Posts
RAM is a 'you have enough or you don't' thing. I can't say whether 8 is enough; look in reapers performance meter and windows performance monitor and see if you're stressing your RAM. If you are, getting more will make a huge difference. If you aren't, getting more won't make any difference at all.

CPUs: faster is absolutely always better, even if only for the shorter render times. Just think of it as always a bottleneck and use the best one you can.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts