Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
The toms are hilarious, they're so obviously sequenced they sound straight out of a 1990 Casio keyboard. :lol:

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
It sounds like a down tuned version of Sim Tunes.

God damn, that was an awesome, underrated game. I haven't thought about it in like. At least 20 years. But four seconds in to hearing this I immediately thought, "Fuck, this sounds like something I would have written on Sim Tunes".

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would be one thing if they had huge, chunky tones mixed in, but it’s all such crappy tone for what they’re doing, and they get buried by the drums and synths. If you’re going to be just bass and drums you have to fill out the space. They both have tone intended for leaving room for guitars.

·
OldSchool Blacksmith
2,866 Posts
Here's how this happened:

Drummer standing at the keg filling his cup at a party, scoping for ladies.
Bass Player One walks up, see's Drummer is wearing a Pearl shirt and asks if he jams.
Drummer replies and they engage in jam talk.
Bass Player two walks up wearing a Dean Markley flat wound shirt and a Meshuggah cap.
Drummer asks Bass Player Two if he jams as well.
He answers yes and the conversation continues - interrupted by long moments of silence as they look around for ladies and all secretly hope a guitar player and singer show up.
The more beer they drink, the more bizarre the conversation turns.
In an award moment of silence, one of them throws out "Hey, we should start a band!"
They all agree that this is clearly the greatest idea of all time and then proof-text it by pointing out how no one has ever done this before and bass and beat carry everything.
By 1:00am they've tossed out dozens of crap names and one of them tries to say 'omniscient' and sputters out 'Omnific'.
The other two yell "BRILLIANT!" like the old Fosters commercials and history is made.

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
That seemed a lot longer than it really was, probably because it seemed like the same thing was played for the whole time.

·
18,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In case anyone needs to wash the taste out of their ears:

See, he's a perfect example of someone who can be hugely interesting playing just bass and drums, because he knows how to fill space, both with his tone and with what he chooses to play. He knows how to hold down everything when the guitars are being sparse, and he knows how to step back into the groove when the guitars get huge. If the bassist and drummer from Karnivool released an album of just the two of them, I would listen to it and love it.

·
Look what I can do
498 Posts
Has anybody gone and listened to any of their other material? I had the same reaction to this abomination, but then a couple of their other songs make a little more sense. :shrug: Not something that I'm gonna listen to on a regular basis, but I don't think they're quite AS BAD as that first song makes them seem.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
I want to say that it was Lee that pointed it out first - when the video thumbnail looks like it was directed/produced with six figures worth of camera gear, it's almost always mediocre, boring djent shit.

Look at those thumbnails. :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts