Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
The Trilogy album is underrated, in my opinion. I actually prefer it to Marching Out, because the vocal songs are a little better developed, and especially because of the "Trilogy Suite," which to me is the best thing that Yngwie has ever done. If I were to play one piece to introduce Yngwie to newbs, that would be it.

It was all pretty much downhill after that, apart from the concerto.

BTW, I'm not sure the donuts were a sometimes thing back then, it's just that the cocaine was an all-the-time thing. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I've heard most of his albums from the last decade, and they all sound exactly the same. Just slight variations on a style he did much better 25 years ago. I wish he could get away from trying to imitate Rainbow.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oddessy & Eclipse is still my favorite.

His playing on that album for ME was the peak of his career

·
Registered
109 Posts
Was awesome? Perpetual flame is an awesome album, and there is a new one I haven't checked out yet.
Nothing Ripper Owens has ever been on is Awesome. Bring back Mark Boals, or better yet Joe Lynn Turner!!

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
I think Perpetual Flame is pretty awesome. In fact, I think I'll give it a listen :)

I love me some YJM, and he's not nearly as fat now as he was 10 years ago :)

·
The Singlecut King of Northern VA
2,299 Posts
I could not agree more, damn did I play the crap out of this cassette tape and I loved the vocals on the album.

The Trilogy album is underrated, in my opinion. I actually prefer it to Marching Out, because the vocal songs are a little better developed, and especially because of the "Trilogy Suite," which to me is the best thing that Yngwie has ever done. If I were to play one piece to introduce Yngwie to newbs, that would be it.

It was all pretty much downhill after that, apart from the concerto.

BTW, I'm not sure the donuts were a sometimes thing back then, it's just that the cocaine was an all-the-time thing. :lol:

·
What are you looking at?
2,124 Posts
I think the first three albums are the only ones that sound like he actually cared and tried to push the envelope. My personal favorite is Marching Out. It just brings back a lot of good memories and I started to play shortly after it was released. The rest just seem like he mailed it in and he was already way too much into himself to care or think others were doing it better than him such as Gilbert, Moore, MacAlpine, etc.

·
Where?!
2,632 Posts
Alchemy is another pretty decent one, although I may just have a soft spot for it as it was the first Yngwie album I heard.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
Yangwee peaked in Alcatrazz

This was the last time the dude was in a real band. He should consider trying it again.
This is still my favorite album he's on. I like the "Rising Force" and "Marching Out" albums, then he loses me. "Trilogy" has some moments, as does "Odyssey", but by the time Goran joins the band, it's unlistenable.

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
I like the "Rising Force" and "Marching Out" albums, then he loses me. "Trilogy" has some moments, as does "Odyssey", but by the time Goran joins the band, it's unlistenable.
This.

From "Eclipse" onwards I just lost all interest in what he was doing. I don't know if it's due to Goran, or maybe the Johansson's leaving. But it just got boring to listen to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts