Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting to the age where I don't want a "studio desk" and would like a normal person desk. I'd also like to put all of my rack shit in a sing enclosure with a door on it so that I can keep curious toddlers away from a zillion buttons.

Where can I get something like this, but with a door or cover of some kind? I could just use a 20U ATA flight case w/wheels but they aren't really the best looking piece of office furniture.

I'm going to have it for a while so I don't mind spending a grand or more for something high quality.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let me Sweetwater that for you...
I need at least 16U with a door. Ideally 18-20U.

0 Flat on top for FM3 / Strymon Stuff
---
1 PDU
2 Stroborack
3 Ensemble
4 /\
5 Kemper
6 \/
7 /\
8 Axe-3
9 \/
10 Triaxis
11 G/Maj or Force
12 PDU 2
13 Exhaust
14 20/20
15 Art SLA
16 Exhaust
17 /\
18 2:Ninety for Triaxis
19: /\
20: 2U Drawer

·
Premium Member
23,428 Posts
Hey, don't we have a certain woodworking member from The Great Snowy North who could probably build this for you in less time than it'd take either of us to find it manufactured somewhere else on a soulless manufacturing line by plebs?

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Sweetwater has this 20U unit, but it has no door, and it's $900 for fucking plywood. I can buy myself the wood and the tools to finish it myself for less than that. :lol:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...-construction-r20-1-sl-ok-rack-20-space-1-bay
That's what I did after looking at racks. Miter saw + wood and you come out way ahead in the long run. Also, get a right angle clamp if you don't have one.

Alder is cheap as fuck on woodworkers resource. Especially the knotty variety (which is fine if you are painting it). They won't straight line rip every face though. They'll rip one edge for a slight upcharge.

https://www.woodworkerssource.com/knotty-alder/alder-knotty-84-lumber.html

Even the 8/4 stuff is cheap as fuck. 8/4 is thick as fuck, you can skip buying the panels you screw into if you go with that and just screw straight into the wood, which I think is better anyways.

I also find the plywood stuff distasteful, but Leon is right that they are pretty much all plywood. It's traditional and the vast majority of people have never really had an issue with it. All of the cabs people rage about are multi-ply baltic birch. Hardwood cabs and headshells are almost unheard of. You see them sometimes, but no one really has a problem with ply.

You can get all the stuff to build a nicer rack than anything you can buy for way less than it would cost you to get something from Sweetwater, to say nothing of the cost effectiveness if you plan on expanding in the future.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Also, do your own and just go straight into the wood. Rack ears suck.

It honestly doesn't make a ton of sense to mount rack ears to wood and then mount your stuff to the rack ears.

Cutting out the shitty middle man is more secure, less rattly when you fuck around with stuff, less likely to scratch things, etc. etc.

Granted, mine isn't enclosed, it's a skeletal type thing, so airflow isn't an issue. Depending on design you might want rack ears to have a sort of cushion of air around your shit, you should still be able to skip them with a little thought though.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going to reach out to these guys and see if they can do me a custom job with a latching door of some kind. Otherwise I think it's going to be just a 20U ATA flight case or something like that.

A zillion buttons and blinky lights in Dad's office is just too much temptation for a kid to resist. :lol:

·
Bah. I still suck.
1,323 Posts
Since racks are racks, you can also search out server enclosure racks-

20U Server Rack Enclosure

Maybe not this one specifically but you get the point. I also see some wood racks on Etsy but haven't seen a 20U.

·
This space for rent
1,482 Posts
Since racks are racks, you can also search out server enclosure racks-

20U Server Rack Enclosure

Maybe not this one specifically but you get the point. I also see some wood racks on Etsy but haven't seen a 20U.
Server racks are probably going to run a lot cheaper to since they don't have to be made from tonewood.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.