Metal Guitarist Forums banner

Which app to send MIDI out from an iPad?

Tags
app ipad midi send
2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Lopez 
#1 ·
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to anything Apple-related, so I thought I'd just ask here.

My band has started using an iPad for our drummer's clicktrack (yes, we use a click live). Inspired by how bands like Meshuggah and Periphery run their live shows, we have now been toying with the idea of having the clicktrack also send out MIDI signals to our guitar rigs so we can move around more freely. The next step would be to integrate midi/dmx for lighting via a clicktrack, but for now we'll just stick to messing around with some patch changes.
Seeing as i have no f'in clue about anything apple-related, I wondered which app would be the best to send MIDI via a midi interface (I guess the ipad camera kit is required for lightning -> USB conversion) as well as stereo audio through the normal speaker jack of the iPad?

#4 ·
Yeah, for everything "more" than just clicktrack and sending samples to the PA, I'd recommend to get a notebook. You can get a cheap one, disable/uninstall everything not needed (make it an "offline" device), upgrade to an SSD drive (you don't want stage vibrations making your harddrive jump), and run a DAW handling everything.

#5 ·
Thanks guys, that just confirms what I've already suspected. I also thought just putting a laptop together with REAPER, an SSD and a little interface was the easier way to go. Our singer just happened to have an iPad. :) If anybody else does happen to have an idea how to do it with an iPad, we'll still try it. But so far a laptop really seems like the better alternative.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.