Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've discovered after a recent pickup swap that I really like EMGs for my high gain rhythm and lead sounds. So I'm pretty much planning on outfitting all my guitars with them at this point. What are good models for cleans (both humbucker and singlecoil?) in your experience?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
oh jesus dont do it to all of your guitars. Having a guitar or 2 with emgs is perfectly valid. i dont think outfitting all of your guitars with any pickup is valid :lol:

Anyways, for cleans, the only EMGs worth a damn in my opinion are the SAs, or maaaybe the 60

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
oh jesus dont do it to all of your guitars. Having a guitar or 2 with emgs is perfectly valid. i dont think outfitting all of your guitars with any pickup is valid :lol:

Anyways, for cleans, the only EMGs worth a damn in my opinion are the SAs, or maaaybe the 60
Well, I'll just do three or four of them with EMGs than, I'll leave one with shitty stock passives just for you :rofl:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
SA or 60.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can't speak from personal experience, but I know that David Gilmour managed to get phenomenal clean tones from his signature EMG set.

YouTube - Pink Floyd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Part 1) - PULSE

2:04

Electric Guitar Pickups & Accessories - EMG Pickups | DG20 David Gilmour
Thanks, I am already pretty sure I want the SAs for my single coil axes. I'm actually looking more advice in the humbucker department? Any opinions on the 89x TW (I'll probably go X series on whatever I get)?

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Thanks, I am already pretty sure I want the SAs for my single coil axes. I'm actually looking more advice in the humbucker department? Any opinions on the 89x TW (I'll probably go X series on whatever I get)?
I tried the TW's (707TW) and frankly, splitting didn't make a mega-difference. I don't know if it's a true split or what... with cleans it did clean up the sound a lot to pull the knob, but I wasn't impressed, especially even when just crunching away. I'd say the SA is likely better.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the TW's (707TW) and frankly, splitting didn't make a mega-difference. I don't know if it's a true split or what... with cleans it did clean up the sound a lot to pull the knob, but I wasn't impressed, especially even when just crunching away. I'd say the SA is likely better.
I'm more interested in the 89 for the purposes of splitting. I don't really like the 85 that much.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
None of 'em, really. They're super-bright, thin, and compressed, which is why they hold up to gain so well.

And I too don't understand the point of putting EMGs in all of your guitars - why would you want all of your guitars to sound the same?

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
The 89 literally sounds exactly the same split or full; there's just a SUBSTANTIAL output drop when it's split. I have a pair in my SLSMG and they're not as sweet as SAs, but they're still pretty nice.

·
Hates Richie Kotzen
14,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
None of 'em, really. They're super-bright, thin, and compressed, which is why they hold up to gain so well.

And I too don't understand the point of putting EMGs in all of your guitars - why would you want all of your guitars to sound the same?
In regards to singlecoils? I presuming the SAs are the most natural sounding though?

I guess we just have a differing philosophy on guitars. I pretty much have one sound I like to stick with. I mainly just have different guitars for the purpose of different tunings or backup (or because I can't resist buying them). I like them to sound the same. Also, I'm only talking about five guitars.

Also I think the sounding the same thing is way overblown. The sterile/artifical thing is too. Alot of the most organic sounding recordings/guitar tones have been EMGs *

*Strictly speaking about high gain rhythm and lead though, I wouldn't use EMGs for 80s metal (Whitesnake, Van Halen) type tones

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
In regards to singlecoils? I presuming the SAs are the most natural sounding though?
The SAs are supposed to be pretty good, and Gilmour got great sounds out of them.

I was actually talking about the humbuckers, which to my ears at least the seven string ones sound eerily like singlecoils run through a compressor with the output jacked way up and a treble boost on somewhere.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
I was actually talking about the humbuckers, which to my ears at least the seven string ones sound eerily like singlecoils run through a compressor with the output jacked way up and a treble boost on somewhere.
This. And as I said and Josh further attested to, splitting the humbuckers doesn't do much to help that. The SAs are nice man; look up "Delicate Sound of Thunder" videos and you'll see that Gilmour has a pushy but very delicious and hi-fi Strat sound out of his rig.

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
They already sound like singlecoils - I don't see why you'd even want to split them. :shrug:

·
Party Röcker
1,372 Posts
Even the 81s don't have to sound distorted - put enough juice through them (the usual 18V setup will be fine) and you can have tons of fun.

Unless I'm horribly mistaken, Gilmour only uses the EMGs live.

Jeff

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Unless I'm horribly mistaken, Gilmour only uses the EMGs live.
You are correct, as is oft the case. Look at that fucking light show. :lol: Even with his mega-rig of doom, Chandler tube-buffered pedalboard, copper shielding... it still made a lot of noise.

He doesn't use them live anymore, as there is no such Pink Floyd any more. I wonder if stacked singles would have done him just as well.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts