Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Sumerian Drone Priest
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a fender reissue Sunn 4x12 412L 16 ohm 300 watt cabinet, and im thinking of putting new speakers in it. My rig right now is an old 5150 blockhead amp running into a 16 ohm 600 watt Emperor 4x12 with eminence swamp thang speakers (the reason im thinking of changing speakers in the sunn) and the Sunn cab. I love the Sunn cab and my main goal is to have a different tone than the Emperor but still have the two cab's mesh well as a whole. So my question to you guys is if i should put Swamp Thang's in the Sunn as well (they are amazing in the Emperor cab) too make it 600 watts also and rely on the wood and construction for the different tone, or if i should go with Eminence Wizard speakers (which are really loud for 75 watt speakers), which would keep the cab 300 watts like it is right now and hopefully give me more of an Orange cab sound, making it an all american metal cab sound mixed with an american with a british accent cab sound. I want loud, high gain fuzzy madness and cab's that will be able to handle a Sunn Model T (when i can finally afford one). What do u think i should do? :eek:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Do you care about weight? I mean, you're hauling Emperor cabs around, so probably no.

Throw some EVM-12Ls in there :bowdown:

If you don't like the idea of a 160 lb cab, Wizards sound like they might be up your alley, although that's still a pretty high-powered cab. A lot of doom sounds involve low-wattage speakers breaking up, so in combination with your high-headroom Emperor it might be nice to have something that is a little less "clean."

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Do you care about weight? I mean, you're hauling Emperor cabs around, so probably no.

Throw some EVM-12Ls in there :bowdown:

If you don't like the idea of a 160 lb cab, Wizards sound like they might be up your alley, although that's still a pretty high-powered cab. A lot of doom sounds involve low-wattage speakers breaking up, so in combination with your high-headroom Emperor it might be nice to have something that is a little less "clean."
+1 if your goal is Doom. The Wizards would probably be right up your alley for that. I know you said Eminence, but you could probably get some pretty slammin' tones if you got two Wizards, and two Greenbacks. The Greenbacks are a bit more "wooly" and would have the doom/sludge thing down perfect, while the 2 Wizards (I think) would give you a bit more clarity so it doesn't get muddy.

·
Sumerian Drone Priest
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah im thinking the wizards are what i am going to end up doing. While i love over cranked fuzz im not going for speaker break up fuzz, the sound i hear in my head is hard too explain but something like bass ridden white noise with note definition LOL. Weight doesnt bother me, i'm 6'4" 215 lbs and i've got band mates that are always willing to help move stuff around. With the band i used to play drums for the guitarist had a 70's sunn 6x12 and a same era 4x15 that make my emperor cab feel like a light weight. I want high headroom so i can crank the head yet retain tone, the reason im thinking of changing the speakers is because i can take my gain to 10 then my lead channel up to say 6 and the emperor just gets louder it still retains its tone while the louder i crank it up the more then sunn seems to break up in a way which is usable but not what im looking for.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
If you don't care about weight and want maximum power, punch, and speaker headroom, the EVM-12L (200W or 300W Black Label version, both are awesome) are your speaker.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.