Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into buying another guitar soon...

And I'm between the Jackson DKMGT
Buy Jackson DKMGT Dinky Electric Guitar With EMGs | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

The ESP/LTD MH-350NT
Buy ESP LTD MH-350NT Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Or maybe a Schecter Hellraiser
Buy Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe Electric Guitar | Solid Body Electric Guitars | Musician's Friend

Anybody know what the neck thickness on a hellraiser is like compared to a LTD? Also, the Jackson is Alder body whats the main tone difference between that and Mahogany?

·
NICE BLACKMACHINE YO
7,276 Posts
Does it have to be new? An older Jackson or LTD for that money will be far better than the new ones. The DKMGT never struck me as being as good as the sum of their parts.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I would also recommend a PRS SE. Those Jacksons never struck me as anything special, and LTD's always feel plasticy to me. The PRS SE's feel really good, and are well made. Having owned a Schecter I'd say that's not a bad idea either, provided you can get along with the neck. I still really dig the ATX series.

·
Banned
13,827 Posts
I'm with Stitch here, I'd look at something better, used. As to what models to propose, what are you looking for in a guitar? There's hundreds of options out there... (Fixed bridge? Passive pickups? 25.5'' scale lenght? Ebony fretboard?, etc., etc.).

As far as neck thickness go, you can always compare specs by checking ESP and Schecter websites.

Also, the Jackson is Alder body whats the main tone difference between that and Mahogany?
Warmoth Custom Guitar Parts - Body Wood Options

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I would also recommend a PRS SE. Those Jacksons never struck me as anything special, and LTD's always feel plasticy to me. The PRS SE's feel really good, and are well made. Having owned a Schecter I'd say that's not a bad idea either, provided you can get along with the neck. I still really dig the ATX series.
I second this, skip the LTD + Jackson, the Shcecter is "OK" if you like huge necks (i hated my Hellraiser)

The best "budget" guitars are the PRS SE's

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Are there any particular specs you want? Otherwise my generic "good midrange guitar" recommendations are:

-Jackson SLSMG (used)
-PRS SE
-Schecter C-1 Standard/Plus
-Agile AL-3000 or greater
-Used Carvin (available dirt cheap)
-Used ESP Mirage
-Used RG550

·
Registered
374 Posts
out of those, i'd go with the schecter

i used to own a C7 hellraiser and if it wasn't for the gothic inlays and EMGs, i would have kept it. it was definitely better overall quality and fretwork than all LTDs i've played/owned. even if you compare the hellraiser to more expensive ibanez's or ESPs, you get a LOT of guitar for the money.

·
18,790 Posts
Go out, play everything you can get your hands on in your price range, and maybe a few slightly outside of your price range, and take home the one that you can't put down :yesway:

Every guitar in this thread is decent, but they're all different and no guitar is perfect for everyone. I'm personally a big fan of the Schecters and don't feel comfortable on an Ibanez or LTD, others feel the exact opposite.

·
SLAM NOT GLAM!
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As far as specs go:
-Fixed Bridge
-Active Pickups, maybe a really high ouput passive Idk. I've always been a big active EMG fan.
-Normal scale length.

And, I'm leaning towards the LTD, I've liked all the LTD's I've owned. I had a MH-301 and it was awesome, but I didn't like the Floyd Rose. I now have a Viper 400 and a LTD Dave Mustaine signature V, I don't like the Duncan JB/Jazz pups in it too well though. I like the Hellraisers but I don't like a thick neck and I've never liked PRS. I do like Ibanez I had a RG7321 that I liked alot. So, any fixed bridge Ibanez recommendations are welcome.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
As far as specs go:
-Fixed Bridge
-Active Pickups, maybe a really high ouput passive Idk. I've always been a big active EMG fan.
-Normal scale length.

And, I'm leaning towards the LTD, I've liked all the LTD's I've owned. I had a MH-301 and it was awesome, but I didn't like the Floyd Rose. I now have a Viper 400 and a LTD Dave Mustaine signature V, I don't like the Duncan JB/Jazz pups in it too well though. I like the Hellraisers but I don't like a thick neck and I've never liked PRS. I do like Ibanez I had a RG7321 that I liked alot. So, any fixed bridge Ibanez recommendations are welcome.
the RGA121 should be right up your ally, the used ones are around your price point.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

Samer said:
As far as specs go:
-Fixed Bridge
-Normal scale length.

the RGA121 should be right up your ally, the used ones are around your price point.
The RGA121 is a fucking smokin' guitar. Shame they discontinued it. Douchebags always discontinue the cool shit.

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
Go out, play everything you can get your hands on in your price range, and maybe a few slightly outside of your price range, and take home the one that you can't put down :yesway:

Every guitar in this thread is decent, but they're all different and no guitar is perfect for everyone. I'm personally a big fan of the Schecters and don't feel comfortable on an Ibanez or LTD, others feel the exact opposite.
This is the best advice in the thread so far.

·
Premium Member
1,588 Posts
Thanks guys. I found a RGA121 for sale on craigslist. I haven't been able to get in contact with the guy yet, but maybe hes still got it.
Yea i can honestly tell you the RGA121 is going to be your best bang for the buck, if only they made a 7 string version i would own 10 of them.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
And is the Wizard II much thicker than the Wizard Prestige?
It's a very polarizing neck profile. It's got a very flat back and hard, square shoulders. Some guys love it; others, like me and Noodles, absolutely hate it. It causes my tendon issues to flare up in a very big way, and the even thinner original Wizard necks don't do that to me.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts