Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i started playing guitar feb. this year and i can play bits and pieces from various songs. I have the motivation to learn theory and im trying to learn open chords atm. However I really hate my current guitar (cheap squier) the action is too high and it has absolutely no sustain. I'm looking to buy something that will last me for a while. I did a bit of research and the RG550 seems to be very popular.

There is a brand new RG550 made in japan for $620 (taxes included) - local guitar shop

or

Used Custom Ibanez JEM assembled and setup by a luthier with Basswood Body, Ibanez Prestige neck, Dimarzio Evolution pickups, Ibanez Edge tremolo for $800 cash - on craigslist

or

Ibanez RG1550MZ - less than a year old, hard case, wammy bar, floyd rose floating bridge. asking $800 - haven't negotiated price yet - on craigslist

which one should I get?

·
Registered
508 Posts
First off, grats for picking up the guitar. :metal:

I feel ya on the Squier. My first guitar was a Squire strat from the Fender Strat Pack.

Have you played the RG550 in the local shop? Have you played other brands to get a feel for them? The reason I'm asking is because how a guitar feels in your hands is one of the most important aspects of playing. That way we can make reccomendations based on what you like. Also, what styles of music are you pushing towards?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:metal: I fucking love the guitar!

I haven't played the RG550. I was at my cousin's house over the summer and I played his Jackson guitar for a few minutes and I loved how much easier it was to play it because the neck was a bit smaller than my squier and the action was a lot lower.

I like classic rock and heavy metal(VAN HALEN, sabbath,metallica,gunsnroses,scorpions). I also like music by Joe Stump (neo classical metal i think).

I asked the same question at another forum and a few ppl there said that I shouldn't get a guitar with a locking tremolo at my skill level. :s

·
Read Only
10 Posts
In my humble opinion (as a guy who owns 2 RG550's and has another being fitted with a custom body), the RG550 is one of the best all around shred/metal six string guitars out there. You can't beat 'em with a proper set of pickups. They're the indestructible workhorse of metal.

They're right about the locking trem thing though. Just starting out, I'd recommend you go with a fixed bridge unless you're the type who loves to fiddle with things. Trems can be a bitch to get set right, and if you DON'T set them right, you'll end up with a guitar that's hard to intonate and won't stay in tune worth a damn and spend more time tuning your guitar than playing it.

I've been playing for 20 years and I *still* suck at setting them up. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Yeah, the 550 has the original Edge trem, which is fantastic. I'm pretty confident that I could pick the 550 up by the trem bar and twirl it over my head for an hour, and it would be completely in tune when I put it down. :lol:

The 350 has the Edge III - I have two RG's with that bridge as well. It's not a *bad* bridge, per se, it stays in tune pretty well and is easy to intonate. That said, on both of mine the trem arm holder is broken, and I'm not even that big of a whammy bar player. Bad design.

For the price though, the 350 is definitely a nice guitar.

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I honestly never found locking trems to be that bad, though I have a knack for fiddling with things so that might just be me :lol: Best thing to do is give some a try and see how you like them, or if you have a friend who knows how to set them up already have them show you how to do it if you really want to have a locking trem.

Otherwise, a good fixed bridge Ibby would be one of the old RGAs, those things play like buttah.

·

745 Posts
Having played the 350 and owning a '01 RG 550 I'd say that the 550 SLAYS 350 in every possible way. The neck on 350 has those uncomfortable 'shoulders' as every wizard II equipped guitar has, while the super wizard on my 550 is the thinnest and most comfortable neck I've had in my hands.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
damn, so pretty much everyone here recommends the 550

on the other forum, its a mix between 1550 and JEM

btw, are there certain versions of 550 to avoid?

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
there is only one version ;) the 550 designation means HSH with a pickgaurd and an edge, lo-pro, or edge pro trem. the 570 is the same sans pickgaurd.
you just have to choose the color and if you want a maple fretboard or not

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok i got the 550 and I'm liking it so far - plays much more effortlessly than my cheap squier

I get buzz in A and low E, will have to mess around with it to fix it.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
so i started playing guitar feb. this year and i can play bits and pieces from various songs. I have the motivation to learn theory and im trying to learn open chords atm. However I really hate my current guitar (cheap squier) the action is too high and it has absolutely no sustain. I'm looking to buy something that will last me for a while. I did a bit of research and the RG550 seems to be very popular.

There is a brand new RG550 made in japan for $620 (taxes included) - local guitar shop

or

Used Custom Ibanez JEM assembled and setup by a luthier with Basswood Body, Ibanez Prestige neck, Dimarzio Evolution pickups, Ibanez Edge tremolo for $800 cash - on craigslist

or

Ibanez RG1550MZ - less than a year old, hard case, wammy bar, floyd rose floating bridge. asking $800 - haven't negotiated price yet - on craigslist

which one should I get?
Either the 550 or this:

Very similar to a 550, however with a much easier to manage fixed bridge. IMO the best bet for you, given that floaters are a pain to set up and you're a relative beginner. $800, with gigbag.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG1451-Prestige-Electric-Guitar?sku=584128

The 1550MZ is a 550 with an inferior bridge, and a Jem is a 550 with a hole in it and fancier pickups that you can add to the 1451 or 550 anyway.

A note about the RG550 that you should be aware of: the RG550 was discontinued many years ago (2000, I think). I would be wary of a guitar sitting in a shop for 10 years. Sometimes it's not a problem, sometimes you'll find it has a warped neck or corroded hardware.

That being said, Ibanez recently reissued the RG550, like a year or two ago. If this is an RG550 reissue, you're probably fine. I am not sure of what labeling there is on it, but I know it has a maple 5-piece neck with two dark stripes on the back (I can't remember if it was bubinga or walnut) that will denote a 550 RI, not an original.

EDIT

Shit, pointless post is pointless. I just noticed that you already bought the 550. :lol:

You should be good to go. Just have a qualified tech check the neck over, and give it a proper setup, and you should be quite the happy camper. Then you can begin the descent down the rabbit hole the rest of us are in, changing out pickups, amps, pedals, effects, etc. etc. etc. :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yea the 550 is not reissue, its made in 1990 and its used. Everything works though.

I just called a local guitar shop and they said a setup would cost $75+ depending on the floyd rose. I'm not gonna drop that much so I will learn it myself. Theres a lot of good youtube videos I found.

here are some pics:

had this on my camera as well, cheap squier guitar + amp:

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
Nice! Blue + maple is such a great look. That guitar is in pretty great shape for being 20 years old!

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
75 to set up with a floyd is fair, maybe a bit high
we charge 65 plus strings.
That isnt just to set the bridge though. that is to adjust the neck and neck angle, clean the board and go over the guitar, clean the elctronics, set the bridge and intonation, adjust the nut, lube and tighten the tuners, adjust the pickups and pole pieces if applicable, and polish the frets

All to customer taste
A simple restring on something floaty is $22, for comparison. Just so youre aware of what theyre doing when they tell you a "setup"

·
Les Paul Nut
8,077 Posts
I agree with jeff on this one, that guitar would be much better for you to start out with. You should focus on the playability of the guitar and if a string pops or whatever it'll go out of tune on you. So that may take you a bit to fix it yourself or cost you money to have a tech take a look at it. I've been playing for 12 years now and I've owned about 5 guitars with a floyd system and now i'm just playing on a hardtail 7 string.

For a personal recommendation I think the RG321MH is what you need, it costs 299.99 and gives you money to upgrade the pickups to something that will make it sound awesome and a set of locking tuners to keep the tuning even more stable.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321MH-Electric-Guitar?sku=620737

1 - 20 of 30 Posts