Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i started playing guitar feb. this year and i can play bits and pieces from various songs. I have the motivation to learn theory and im trying to learn open chords atm. However I really hate my current guitar (cheap squier) the action is too high and it has absolutely no sustain. I'm looking to buy something that will last me for a while. I did a bit of research and the RG550 seems to be very popular.

There is a brand new RG550 made in japan for $620 (taxes included) - local guitar shop

or

Used Custom Ibanez JEM assembled and setup by a luthier with Basswood Body, Ibanez Prestige neck, Dimarzio Evolution pickups, Ibanez Edge tremolo for $800 cash - on craigslist

or

Ibanez RG1550MZ - less than a year old, hard case, wammy bar, floyd rose floating bridge. asking $800 - haven't negotiated price yet - on craigslist

which one should I get?

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:metal: I fucking love the guitar!

I haven't played the RG550. I was at my cousin's house over the summer and I played his Jackson guitar for a few minutes and I loved how much easier it was to play it because the neck was a bit smaller than my squier and the action was a lot lower.

I like classic rock and heavy metal(VAN HALEN, sabbath,metallica,gunsnroses,scorpions). I also like music by Joe Stump (neo classical metal i think).

I asked the same question at another forum and a few ppl there said that I shouldn't get a guitar with a locking tremolo at my skill level. :s

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
yea the 550 is not reissue, its made in 1990 and its used. Everything works though.

I just called a local guitar shop and they said a setup would cost $75+ depending on the floyd rose. I'm not gonna drop that much so I will learn it myself. Theres a lot of good youtube videos I found.

here are some pics:

had this on my camera as well, cheap squier guitar + amp:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.