Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to snag one of the Redwirez bundles, and as it turns out there are a shitload of options. I don't need all of these, I am looking for one thing in particular.

I want to run high gain (ish) tone, doubletracked, without digital hiss and fizz. I fucking hate hiss and fizz. They are the enemy. I'm shooting for a tone somewhere between Lamb of God and Devildriver, with a hint of older Testament.

My actual cab is a Recto with v30's and I like it a bunch, but that model on the AFX is (for some reason) incredibly boomy. Basically, if Nolly and Bulbster had more mids, a bit less presence and more 80's speed metal influence, that's the tone I'm hunting. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn, the "Rock Mix" with the AFX Ultra is fucking awesome as well. If I could get that tone direct as easily as they make it sound, I'd be a happy guy. Awesome drum/bass mix on it certainly doesn't hurt.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:wub: I was thinking "Man I hope Nolly replies to this". :lol:

I just grabbed a bunch. Holy fuck, there are a lot of files in these archives. I have some RTFM-ing to do, but from what I can tell - the Axe-Fx folder contains a bunch of .syx files - I assume those are Axe-ready IRs, and all I need to do is load them into cab banks depending on which mic I want to use?

I found some old posts on the Fractal forums talking about converters and such, but it seems like these are already converted. I am a total IR noob though, so if that's completely off the mark I won't be surprised. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got some of 'em loaded up. :yesway: It's a lot to digest at first, and I find myself wishing that the AFX had more than 10 user cab slots. :lol:

·
abides
851 Posts
It's pretty easy, you just need an impulse loader plugin like Voxengo Boogex or KeFIR (I don't have experience with either since I run Logic). Both are free download I believe.
Then all you need to do is bypass the cab block on the Axe-FX and monitor through your DAW.

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That definitely sounds easier than loading them up 10 at a shot. Thanks man, I'll give that a shot tonight. :yesway:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Despite knowing it for years, I'm slowly starting to accept the fact that the tone that I record with doesn't have to exactly equal the end result, and that stuff like this will absolutely make my mixes better. (Or at least, give me more ways to make them sound bad..)

I think it comes from too many years using oldschool 4-tracks and cassette tapes. I still feel a little dirty punching in. :lol:

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It's pretty easy, you just need an impulse loader plugin like Voxengo Boogex or KeFIR (I don't have experience with either since I run Logic). Both are free download I believe.
Then all you need to do is bypass the cab block on the Axe-FX and monitor through your DAW.
That definitely sounds easier than loading them up 10 at a shot. Thanks man, I'll give that a shot tonight. :yesway:
I was really not looking forward to auditioning cabs the "manual" way. :lol: Thanks dude!

·
Banned
21,673 Posts

·
Habitual Line Stepper
490 Posts
Feel free to share any good mixes you find. I grabbed a few cabs as well and will do the same as soon as i have some time to play.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts