Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I picked up a used Bugera 6262 half stack. I was monkeying around with the lead channel and my pedals and noticed a lot of white noise with the Boss GE-7 equalizer, and the same noise, but not as noticeable with my MXR dyna comp. I did some looking around on the net, and some suggested setting on the equalizer to 0. I tried that and I still get that noise, but not as bad. I haven't had a chance to try with effects pedals (waiting on the amp footswitch) or on the clean channel.

·
Registered
927 Posts
The 6262 is essentially a Peavey 5150 2/6505+ so that amp, especially on the lead channel, is going to have a lot of hiss naturally. I have not had a boss ge7 in years but I vaguely remember that pedal creating a little noise....especially on high gain settings.

Also, how are you running that pedal? Is it in front of the amp or in the fx loop? Most would say it should sit in the fx loop. Regardless, with an amp like that, a noise gate/suppressor is essential. I love my ISP Decimator 2. MXR makes some great options. Just stay away from the shitty old Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor.

edit: You shouldnt need the amp footswitch in order to use the FX loop. I could be wrong but I believe the fx loop is enabled "by default"
when the footswitch is unplugged. I had a 6260 and thats how mine worked :scratch:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have it running in front of the amp. (tuner, wah, Dyna Comp, Equalizer, Over Drive) Then once I get the footswitch i'll have the flange, and echo running into the FX loop

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
Some hiss is normal, but the pedals could be adding more noise to the signal. Get a decent noise gate in front of the amp and that'll help, but getting one with a secondary loop that lets you put the fx loop of the amp through it will really help tame the fizz when you're not playing.

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
Could you post a video of you playing Room For One More? That could be helpful.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some hiss is normal, but the pedals could be adding more noise to the signal. Get a decent noise gate in front of the amp and that'll help, but getting one with a secondary loop that lets you put the fx loop of the amp through it will really help tame the fizz when you're not playing.
any reasonably priced noise gate recommendations?

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the TC Electronics Sentry. It's dead quiet when you're not playing, and it stays out of the way when you are.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
I can't say enough good things about the TC Electronics Sentry. It's dead quiet when you're not playing, and it stays out of the way when you are.
How's it interact with volume knob stuff?

·
Mod Britannia
7,233 Posts
I've not tried the Sentry myself to compare, but I've had good experiences in the past with ISP Decimators and the Mooer Noise Killer (my current noise gate, purely because it does what the Decimator does in a smaller footprint).

·
Premium Member
32,450 Posts
How's it interact with volume knob stuff?
I don't know any of them that work well with volume knob swells. Having said that, it's OK.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So who wants to kick my as first....I plugged my guitar into the head, with the lead channel on, and I think the noise dropped fifty to sixty percent. Now it doesn't sound like I'm playing next to the power lines. I could have sworn that I plugged a guitar directly into the amp before. Not I need to figure what pedal or cord is causing so much noise

·
MG.ORG Irregular
9,747 Posts
So who wants to kick my as first....I plugged my guitar into the head, with the lead channel on, and I think the noise dropped fifty to sixty percent. Now it doesn't sound like I'm playing next to the power lines. I could have sworn that I plugged a guitar directly into the amp before. Not I need to figure what pedal or cord is causing so much noise
Couldbe something weird too. If I orient my od808 vertically I get less noise :lol:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I narrowed it down to my morely AYB box.
I noticed when I have the volume rolled down on the guitar, with the lead channel and over drive on and the dyna comp on with and my toe on the dyna comp button I pick up radio stations

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.