Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Is Actually Recording
32,765 Posts
It probably doesn't - Chris has an X2N in one of his RGs, and I know for a whole Adam used to SWEAR by this pickup, to the extent that it was kind of a running joke. :lol: But what time I've spent playing Chris's 550 leads me to believe they're very different pickups.

It's fucking HOT, for one. The DAvtivators are pretty hot, but the X2N is hands down the hottest pickup Dimarzio makes. The DActivators are also voiced a lot differently - I actually really didn't like them, they were super bright, and did nail a lot of that "compressed singlecoil" sort of sound the 707s produces. The X2N wasn't as tonally distinctive, based on my recollections of the time I spent playing it - it sounded like a passive, but one with just a lot of, well, everything; it wasn't geared towards any one narrow frequency like the DActivators, it was more of a super-hot pickup that covered a broader frequency range.

If you want to absolutely slam the front end of your amp, this one is a good pick, but you should probably wait for someone whose experience goes deeper than playing shred licks through an unfamiliar rig while half in the bag every couple months. :lol:

·
I don't like it.
11,070 Posts
I sold Chris one that he won't use, buy his :lol:

The 7 is voiced very differently from the 6, I actually spoke to Dimarzio about it on the phone when it first came out and he mentioned that they were considering voicing the 6 like the 7, but I don't think they ever did.

·
Super Moderator
2,037 Posts
I make this analogy when people ask about that pup:

Think of pickups like cutlery. On one end of the scale, you have an Evo 7 which is articulate and clean-cutting like a scalpel. It does high gain damage in a clean way. In this scenario, The X2N7 is the equivalent to a chainsaw; buzzy around the edges, bigger, and noisier sounding.

It's a cool pickup if you like that wall-of-sound raw chuggin style of playing. But, if you are into some tight, notey Soreption kinda stuff, you can forget it :yesway:

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
I got one in my Avenger 7, compared to the D-Activator its definitely got more definition in the low frequencies without getting awfully muddy. Its kinda like a passive trying to do the EMG sound with more gain added on top. I personally like it because I tend to run most of my Pod patches lower-gain and that pickup takes care of the rest. It also takes well to a coil tap and like to use it for both hot single-type sounds or to simply tame the bass for more technical-style playing.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a bit of a beast. I'm interested in getting one for a trial. I think I may need to grab one for my Rgd. I'm tuned down 2 step from a standard 7 string so what's the chance the x2n will hold up to low end clarity? Or am I asking for trouble?

·
Its Nis Pe, bitch!
605 Posts
In my experience they hold up to low tunings fairly well (used to tune down anywhere from G-E on the lowest string and it still sounded good). If you need things tighter like I said the coil tap option helps heaps in this regard :yesway:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts