Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When does the SINGING lead tone emerge?

Is there any credible singing lead tone before Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton of any real note?

I don't mean buzzy distortion or growling guitar like Link Wray and others but gain used for a more singing lead tone (like early Beck and Clapton did for example)

Who were the first guys to do this and preferably do it well?

Thanks!

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
Its origin was the sound of nails getting hammered through the flesh of Jesus.
Upon this sound, the sky seperated and Wotan the Father came riding on Sleipnir down from Valhalla, handing a hammer to a soldier, and his words wereth heard all over the world: "YOU HAVE UNLOCKED LEVEL 2! USE THIS HAMMER, TO CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES IN RYTHM, MAKE THEM SING IN PAIN!".
The soldier took the hammer, and felt immediately the unbending POWER running through his veins.
No one knew that day, that the world will never be the same again.
On this day, Heavy Metal was born.

No, seriously, I have no idea.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Peter = /thread

·
getting schwifty
1,285 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; Garminfone Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17; A50-V5.0.70-user-20101025)

peter just wrote amon amarth's next album.

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-35) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Aside from Jeff Beck, the guys I think of as really vocal-sounding all hit it in the 70s. Brian May, Santana...

·
18,790 Posts
Wirelessly posted :)sponge:: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Josh said:
Wirelessly posted :)yesway:: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; DROIDX Build/4.5.1_57_DX5-35) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Aside from Jeff Beck, the guys I think of as really vocal-sounding all hit it in the 70s. Brian May, Santana...
"American Woman" maybe?

·
Asylum's Axeman
27 Posts
The first real use of singing overdrive was in Chicago, with the advent of melodic distortion and controlled feedback from artists such as Howlin' Wolf and Muddy Waters.

Then you had the British Blues invasion with Jeff Beck, Clapton, Paul Butterfield, and Peter Green.

The American 60's rock movement brought Jimi Hendrix and later, ZZ Top, et al that sealed the deal.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
When does the SINGING lead tone emerge?

Is there any credible singing lead tone before Jeff Beck and Eric Clapton of any real note?

I don't mean buzzy distortion or growling guitar like Link Wray and others but gain used for a more singing lead tone (like early Beck and Clapton did for example)

Who were the first guys to do this and preferably do it well?

Thanks!
How many forums are you going to post this on? :lol:

·
crying in your beer
3,782 Posts
No, but I prefer threads to be about "humor" in general. Not exactly mine, or my strange sense of it.

·
Banned
7,428 Posts
Wirelessly posted (A Destroyer of short people: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

tribalfusion said:
Yeah, a totally different reply you received on ss.org...

Sorry, could not resist. :lol:
You really do your best to make threads be about you and your "humor" I see.
His humor is funny, I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

His humor is funny, I enjoyed it.
That's great. I find it juvenile .

Why don't you start a thread together or PM each other and leave this thread for discussion of the topic please...

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
That's great. I find it juvenile .

Why don't you start a thread together or PM each other and leave this thread for discussion of the topic please...
Because it's already been answered, and Max can shit on threads in the grande olde MG.org tradition whenever he wants to. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.