Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Read Only
3 Posts
I can only argue with number three. Rust in Piece pales in comparison to Peace Sells...But Who's Buying. Replace RIP with PS...BWB and this is a great list.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I can only argue with number three. Rust in Piece pales in comparison to Peace Sells...But Who's Buying. Replace RIP with PS...BWB and this is a great list.
Each has its strong points, but I would say that Peace Sells was probably the better and more influential of the two. It also seems less calculated and more wonderfully strange.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Matt C said:
Completely agreed, and it is the thrashier of the two.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I'd replace RIP with Peace Sells, though I see a better case for that one than #2, which has to be Master of Puppets. Still, it's minor niggling. Finally a thrash list where we don't get something stupid like Sodom at #2. :lol:

·
Read Only
10 Posts
Rust in Peace, to me, was bigger than Peace Sells. The riffs are insane, the production quality is terrific and almost everyone i knew who played guitar in high school woodshedded like crazy to play ANY of those solos.

That being said...Peace Sells is still amazing. :)
This.

·
Mutes the Meat
10,236 Posts
I appreciate that they picked RTL. Usually you only hear them talking about MOP or AJFA.

·
I am Groot
32,450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wirelessly posted :)dio:)

Mike said:
I'd replace RIP with Peace Sells, though I see a better case for that one than #2, which has to be Master of Puppets. Still, it's minor niggling. Finally a thrash list where we don't get something stupid like Sodom at #2. :lol:
I think the argument is that Lightening is more of a thrash album, which I have heard before. Not that I agree.

·
Boogadee Oogadee
1,209 Posts
RIP was more influential to me, at the time..... more impactful. At the time, it's singular machine-like focus and delivery and production is what completely sold me into latching onto and further investigating what metal was all about, and what it could be. The unparalleled geniusness of Peace Sells, with it's less impactful production and punch, would NOT have been as 'obvious' for me. It was more 'me' than 'it'. I wasn't ready for it.

It wasn't until the past few years that I realized that Peace Sells' more proggy and unorthodox riffing, leads, structure etc...., and the rabid fury of Mustaine's delivery in both playing, singing, writing..... far surpasses RIP in the ambitiousness and pioneeringness of an album, (w/o getting lost in itself like a prog band writing 23 time-sigs in a song for prog's sake) and the consequential influence on metal, as such albums were ground-breaking.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Twisted to Form should be added but not in place of Bonded.

I like Alice in Hell but would have not included on this list.

I prefer the RIP and Ride combo vs. the other way but love those albums as well.

I'd have to put the Legacy for Testament instead of the New Order.

Not sure I would have Sepultura on my list probably Death Angel.

Overall not a bad list.

·
Marshall humper
3,575 Posts
Kreator made it, Sepultura made it, Overkill made it. And then the Metallica record was Ride, and Reign in Blood was number one.

If I knew a guy trying to get into thrash, I'd definitely give him this list.

I'm just very pleased Kreator and Sepultura showed up on a list for once.

·
Premium Member
11,451 Posts
I'm just very pleased Kreator and Sepultura showed up on a list for once.
Those are both great records, actually, so they should be on this list.

The only one that *might* be here for "cred points" is Alice In Hell, but it was a pretty big deal when it came out, the band just could never keep it together consistently enough to tour heavily enough to be bigger. Which is sad, since both AiH and "Never, Neverland" are two of the better albums of the era.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts