Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why mess with a proven design?

1. The locking block shape is comical at best. What was the point of the shelf? Just how much money was saved over time by making the block thin at the "break angle"? The strings also don't make a 90 bend into the saddle, its is more like 45-60 degrees. This alone Is a big design flaw for a locking tremolo like this.

2. The client uses DR Tightfits. There is no room to create a kink in the string so the wraps wont slide off the core. Tuning his guitar to B with this tremolo was a joke. Sorry kid, you're getting D'Addarios. At least I know they will not unwrap themselves.

3. Knife edges were as someone said in another thread, prone to chipping. Filing tends to make them a little better, but the metal doesn't file well.

4. I already told him to start saving for a replacement as I do not see this tremolo lasting long at all.

Would a Schaller Lock Meister be a better drop in than an OFR? I am thinking metric specs here. Does anyone have the specs of an Edge III? I can't find them online. Thanks if you do and you post them. I need a drink, my head hurts from dealing with this thing today.

·
Premium Member
3,264 Posts
I have no experience with Edge III's, only original Edge's and Edge Zero's. If it's that ad and he really likes the guitar, then yeah, replace it with a OFR or original Edge, what ever fits the route etc..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts