Metal Guitarist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seriously, with the home recording market pretty much in full swing for the past few years, why haven't ISO cabs become more prevalent in the market? Right now, we've got:

1. Rivera Silent Sister. Great sounding cabinet, but pricey at $999.
2. Randall ISO. Mediocre, and requires modification to make it quiet.
3. Jet City Jet Stream. An unknown, because it's been continually pushed back, now supposedly shipping next month. Affordable though, @ $399.
4. Demeter. I don't know much about them, but they appear to be similar to Randall's offerings.
5. AxeTrak. Odd in that it uses a small speaker and a fixed cartridge instead of allowing the user to use whatever mic they want.
6. Grendel. Sounded good from what I've heard, but the guy building them was just a disaster to deal with, by all accounts that I've heard.

I've asked Dave @ Avatar as well as e-mailed Lopoline, thinking that they'd be ideal for these types of things, but both said they have no plans whatsoever.

So what do you guys think is the hold up? Why are emulators more common?

·
Slow Money
14,612 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Hivemind: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

The issue with isocabs is the lack of good bass control. They're quiet outside but the bass is always either a: lacking due to not enough room to develop, or b) rumbling around like a bag of cows In a cement mixer From inadequate interior trapping

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
I've recorded my last two albums with the Grendel and gotten some decent results. However, I've recently started going back to the cab sims in my Axe-FX.

Sonically, the basic problem is phase cancellation and the speaker's inability to move 'naturally' due to both sides around it being airtight chambers. Even in the Grendel, there's a certain weird little muffling in the midrange that I haven't entirely been able to get rid of, even with the mics position almost direct center. It's hard to describe, unfortunately. Supposedly, the Rivera does a better job of controlling this with its porting system. I haven't been willing to pony up $1,000 to find out, however.

·
Read Only
3 Posts
Really? Given a silent/quiet need, what would you choose? I know a cranked amp with a real mic is the ideal way, but for may, like me, it's not practical in many cases.
Move to somewhere that I didn't have a silent/quiet need.

·
Mr. Negative Pants, ,
14,796 Posts
I think iso cabs aren't as popular precisely because modeling technology is getting better all the time, particular with convolution reverbs and impulse technology.

·
Banned
21,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then, have a baby and reintroduce silent/quiet need!
That's exactly my problem; it wouldn't matter where I move, because I have a 3 month old and a 3 year old.

I think iso cabs aren't as popular precisely because modeling technology is getting better all the time, particular with convolution reverbs and impulse technology.
You're on Mac, what are you using?

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Then, have a baby and reintroduce silent/quiet need!
Thats exactly my plan as soon as this country gig starts. :sharpie:

Nice double wide out in the middle of nowhere, with a BIG amish log cabin studio.

I wonder if it would be possible to do something such as make a Giant iso box to put a 4x12 inside of it, and also leave extra room to fix the phase issues? Just a giant noise cancelling box that you can put a cab into. It would take up a lot of space, but I bet it would sound good.

·
Premium Member
4,657 Posts
Thats exactly my plan as soon as this country gig starts. :sharpie:

Nice double wide out in the middle of nowhere, with a BIG amish log cabin studio.

I wonder if it would be possible to do something such as make a Giant iso box to put a 4x12 inside of it, and also leave extra room to fix the phase issues? Just a giant noise cancelling box that you can put a cab into. It would take up a lot of space, but I bet it would sound good.
Someone on SS.org linked to plans for one of those one time. I'll see if I can find it and report back.

Found this one, but the one I was looking for was on Dave Weiner's forum, and the link is dead: http://www.amptone.com/diyisobox.htm

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
It's called a soundproofed studio. :lol:

·
Dream Crusher
21,053 Posts
Yeah, sounds like an isolation room, only made semi-portable with a trailer.

·
Super Moderator
8,927 Posts
One of the benefits of an iso cab is that you can use it in a normal home studio. It sits in the same room as you and permits you to keep using your regular monitors etc. It not only keeps noise from getting out, but also from coming in. If you have space for a full control room separate from the amps, as well as a place where you can really blast the amps, that's great, but most folks don't.

·
Thread Killer
6,491 Posts
Hmm that jet city looks pretty cool.

Now you have two output options-the standard XLR output directly from the mic, or you can even use the JetStream as your recording interface-use the USB output on the Jet City speaker cab to capture the mic in the digital domain and send it directly to your Mac or PC.

·
Reverend Secret Flower
11,836 Posts
i just started using my 2nd bedroom upstairs as an isolation room for my recordings(my studio area is in the other bedroom upstairs) and its fucking awesome. it sucks you guys have this problem. I take my ability to blair any volume at all hours for granted.

But, when i did have to be quiet, i got good results with my rectoverb and impulses.

·
Tr00 Kvlt
5,914 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Shadow: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Soopahmahn said:
It's called a soundproofed studio. :lol:
:lol: yeah, but I was thinking of something a bit more portable, say a little bit longer than 3 4x12 cabs back to back, and just tall and wide enough for a cab with wheels to fit inside.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts