Metal Guitarist Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds impossible, but it's true. When my amp is set flat on the floor, I like how it sounds. When it's propped up and speaker's pointing at me, I hate it. It's so harsh and scratchy.

My bandmates think I must hate my amp's tone, but I don't. I just don't like having the cone aimed right at me. For me, it's kinda like miking. How many people point their mic directly at the cone, right in front of it? I seem to prefer miking an amp off center of the cone.

Anywho, I guess I just feel weird because it seems like I should like my amp's tone flat or tilted up, but I just don't. :nuts:

Thoughts?

·
Uses more gain than you.
4,377 Posts
Sounds impossible, but it's true. When my amp is set flat on the floor, I like how it sounds. When it's propped up and speaker's pointing at me, I hate it. It's so harsh and scratchy.

My bandmates think I must hate my amp's tone, but I don't. I just don't like having the cone aimed right at me. For me, it's kinda like miking. How many people point their mic directly at the cone, right in front of it? I seem to prefer miking an amp off center of the cone.

Anywho, I guess I just feel weird because it seems like I should like my amp's tone flat or tilted up, but I just don't. :nuts:

Thoughts?
This is why Weber sells those beam blocker things, but really, having the speakers aimed at you face is never good, IMO. :lol:

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
This is common - I feel the same way, and I don't know anyone who prefers their amp sound from right out in front.

That said... One of the bigger realizations I made for recording was there's a huge difference between an amp sound that sounds great in the room, and one that sounds great to a mic right in front of your speaker. When recording it's definitely worth trying to re-EQ your amp to make it sound as good as possible from right in front of the speaker, where the mic will "hear" it. :yesway:

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
I always use a set of Hearos when playing at loud volumes. I’ve been doing it for so long now that I’ve sorta forgotten how my true tone sounds w/o them. The other day I took ‘em out and noticed that my tone was a little harsher than I’d lke for my taste, so I backed off the presence and the highs a good amount. Both clean and dirty channels on a 6505+ can easily sound very harsh and brittle.

What amp are you using?

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Angel -

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER?20 High Fidelity Earplugs

$12. I have two pairs (for the price, a spare seemed a good idea), and they're really pretty damned good. They're not totally transparent, but they're much more natural sounding than the foam things. I was never really happy with earplugs while jamming - I kept trying to rehearse and gig with them, but I'd always take them out because they raped my high frequency hearing and made everything sound muffled and muddy - but these are awesome and don't bother me at all.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Never tried the Etymotics, I always used Hi-Fi Hearos (same thing).

Just remember, all that extra treble blast ends up raping the face of whomever is in line of sight of your amp. :lol: So temper it a little. If you're dialing it in so that it sounds good pointing at your feet, that's your problem.

·
\m/ Tits & Beer \m/
1,150 Posts
Angel -

Etymotic Research, Inc. - ER?20 High Fidelity Earplugs

$12. I have two pairs (for the price, a spare seemed a good idea), and they're really pretty damned good. They're not totally transparent, but they're much more natural sounding than the foam things. I was never really happy with earplugs while jamming - I kept trying to rehearse and gig with them, but I'd always take them out because they raped my high frequency hearing and made everything sound muffled and muddy - but these are awesome and don't bother me at all.
Dude, I was the exact same way for yeeears. Always felt that it took the fun out of playing loud LOL. I actually use similar ear plugs and I completely agree that the foams ones are assdog in earplug form.

I'm on my SIXTH pair of Hearos and have 2 extras just in case. Haha Theyre expensive but you cant put a price on your hearing

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I always use a set of Hearos when playing at loud volumes. I've been doing it for so long now that I've sorta forgotten how my true tone sounds w/o them. The other day I took 'em out and noticed that my tone was a little harsher than I'd lke for my taste, so I backed off the presence and the highs a good amount. Both clean and dirty channels on a 6505+ can easily sound very harsh and brittle.

What amp are you using?
Peavey Triple X 40w combo. We don't play at loud stage volumes.

Never tried the Etymotics, I always used Hi-Fi Hearos (same thing).

Just remember, all that extra treble blast ends up raping the face of whomever is in line of sight of your amp. :lol: So temper it a little. If you're dialing it in so that it sounds good pointing at your feet, that's your problem.
Yeah, I've rolled the treble back but it never helps enough. I think it's just a matter of being too close to the cone. Being in the line of sight gets easier the farther one is away from it.

·
NSLALP
13,286 Posts
Peavey Triple X 40w combo. We don't play at loud stage volumes.
Yeah, I've rolled the treble back but it never helps enough. I think it's just a matter of being too close to the cone. Being in the line of sight gets easier the farther one is away from it.
Interested in a XXX 2x12 120W combo? I read somewhere they have smoother treble. :D

You're right about the cone. Honestly, it's just a fact of life. Try to stand off-axis. Recommend pointing it directly at your drummer.

·
Premium Member
32,765 Posts
Dude, I was the exact same way for yeeears. Always felt that it took the fun out of playing loud LOL. I actually use similar ear plugs and I completely agree that the foams ones are assdog in earplug form.

I'm on my SIXTH pair of Hearos and have 2 extras just in case. Haha Theyre expensive but you cant put a price on your hearing

Oh, ok, nice! Yeah, I'd hate to gig with those foam POSs. How much are the Hearos? The Etymotics are the same thing, at $12 a pair - if they're much more than that, it might be worth switching.

I wear these things at almost every concert I go to - they're great. :yesway:

·
Guiterrorizer
15,696 Posts
I dial in my amp with my head right in front of the cab where a mic would be. I like the in-room sound, and the in-front-of-cab tone isn't as nice, but it's not bad at all.

·
I think too much
1,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interested in a XXX 2x12 120W combo? I read somewhere they have smoother treble. :D

You're right about the cone. Honestly, it's just a fact of life. Try to stand off-axis. Recommend pointing it directly at your drummer.
:lol: My drummer will be ecstatic to hear that. No one in the band wants to be directly in the line of fire of the Beam of Death.

I kinda am interested in your combo, but I can't really justify having it. :(

I dial in my amp with my head right in front of the cab where a mic would be. I like the in-room sound, and the in-front-of-cab tone isn't as nice, but it's not bad at all.
I may try that, but even people in line of sight to the cone have it easier farther away. Since I don't envision many people sticking their head in my cone (god, I hope that isn't a euphemism I'm unaware of), I'll probably just tilt my amp up a little so the Beam of Death points at the ceiling all the way across the bar.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts